Jim Jarmusch Article at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 29th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Trustee

Jim Jarmusch Article

I'm a fan of Jim Jarmusch as I'm sure some of you might be, and I just read this small but inspiring article from MovieMaker magazine.

Being bogged down with preproduction blues right now, I found this article very recharging, and I though it might help recharge that creative and rebellious spirit in you...

http://www.moviemaker.com/issues/53/jarmusch.html
(Note - article contains some strong language - if you're sensitive please bypass).
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 12:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for the link. I printed it. Good stuff.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

Rule #4: Filmmaking is a collaborative process.

I like his Rule #4.

Rule #4: Filmmaking is a collaborative process. You get the chance to work with others whose minds and ideas may be stronger than your own. Make sure they remain focused on their own function and not someone else’s job, or you’ll have a big mess. But treat all collaborators as equals and with respect. A production assistant who is holding back traffic so the crew can get a shot is no less important than the actors in the scene, the director of photography, the production designer or the director. Hierarchy is for those whose egos are inflated or out of control, or for people in the military. Those with whom you choose to collaborate, if you make good choices, can elevate the quality and content of your film to a much higher plane than any one mind could imagine on its own. If you don’t want to work with other people, go paint a painting or write a book. (And if you want to be a dictator, I guess these days you just have to go into politics...).
Old January 31st, 2004, 12:54 AM   #4
Old Boot

Thanks Imran . . . most of the collaborative arts, those that succeed, have these rules at their core. Nice to read someone taking the time to put them into print. Mind you, preaching to the converted: Those that do it already will nod sagely . . Those that don't, WONT read it OR if they do read it, believe they do , do it . . .

Hmmm . .so I'm left wondering who the audience for this article really is? - Bit like movie making I suppose? But there again, maybe there was no audience in mind? . . This is becoming more interesting the more I think about it . . . Perhaps that was the purpose of the article .. to make me think deeper about the subject? . . .

Cheers,

Grazie

ps now I've got another @*%$£ website to read everyday -THANKS IMRAN!! ;-)
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media