DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   If you had a lot of money.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/20786-if-you-had-lot-money.html)

Andreas Fernbrant February 3rd, 2004 09:53 AM

If you had a lot of money..

I just want to know what you guys would buy if you would have a lot of money to spend?

Let's say for fun that you would make a film/project that would be really successful. You get loads of money from this, what would you do with your money? (related to DV products)

What cam would you buy?

Remember, this is just a philosophical question for fun sake.

Edward Troxel February 3rd, 2004 10:43 AM

Re: If you had a lot of money..

<<<-- Originally posted by Andreas Fernbrant : You get loads of money from this, what would you do with your money? -->>>

Retire from my "day job"

Andreas Fernbrant February 3rd, 2004 10:58 AM

But what DV/film/video related products would you buy?
Stuff you dream about but can't afford?

Chris Hurd February 3rd, 2004 11:16 AM

I'd hire Charles Papert to direct, and rent an HD camera with a Pro35 adapter. Then I'd see about getting Michael J. Pollard to star in it... a western, of course.

Joe Gioielli February 3rd, 2004 11:56 AM

Don't stone me, I love my Sony, DV forever and all that jazz.

But if I'm dreaming, getting a piece of fantasy production gear that I know I will never be able to afford to buy or use...

Please don't hate me, but it would have to be a really good 35mm Movie Camera. Then I'd want the education to learn how to use it.

Brian Huey February 3rd, 2004 12:34 PM

Well if I had enough money I'd pick up a Viper Film Stream Camera (why rent when you can buy!) and start taking script submissions or work on one myself. And, yes, I'd have to do a western as well Chris!

Cheers,
Brian

Don Donatello February 3rd, 2004 05:50 PM

no what if's here ... i have a elura !!!! works for me .. fits in my pocket... take it anywhere .. doesn't get noticed ...
all other camera's are rentable...

Rob Lohman February 3rd, 2004 06:06 PM

Probably get me a course in screenwriting first... then perhaps
a Cine-Alta or something with a nice editing suite.

Dylan Couper February 3rd, 2004 08:45 PM

I'd buy a Ferrari Enzo. WIth a car like that, I wouldn't need a camera to get chicks.

Rob Belics February 3rd, 2004 08:47 PM

You need a camera to get chicks?

Dylan Couper February 3rd, 2004 09:00 PM

Oops, I wasn't supposed to type that last bit in.

Ted Springer February 3rd, 2004 09:52 PM

Well I wouldn't hire Charles to direct and I wouldn't rent an HD cam. Instead I'd outright BUY a few HD Cams (good ones... the best ones), I'd direct and I'd get my friend who is already a great DP to be the DP.

Then I'd make movies that everyone hates (though not by my own intention).

After that I'd buy a better house. Another car as well (though I'd keep the one I currently have). I would also flaunt my money to get women because let's be serious... that's what they are really attracted to. Then I'd buy the presidency and conquer the world through unrelenting force.

After that I'd have dinner at Outback Steakhouse.

John Locke February 3rd, 2004 10:36 PM

I'd give a big chunk of it to Chris to help fund the project he mentions since it sounds like a surefire winner... AND set myself up with a top of the line HD setup.

To set myself up, I'd take all the magazine articles and shows that show Robert Rodriguez' home studio setup...and hire someone to set me up the same way.

Dustin Waits February 3rd, 2004 10:59 PM

I'de pay off the $1200 debt I owe to the irs. I'm not as big time as most of you so I am sticking to smaller stuff right now that most of you buy with pocket change but.....New external dvd burner, a second cam, accessories (mic, lenses, etc.), and a better pc setup, and most importantly.....education, can't afford the classes. Simple but gets me going.

Aaron Koolen February 3rd, 2004 11:38 PM

Well, sounds like people are thinking big, so I'd put just enough aside to pay the bills and mortgage, off the interest - then of course quit my day job. After that, I'd set up a production company with all the gears, doing animal rights video/docco/movie production. Hmm, doesn't sound flashy enough.....And I'd buy a Lamborghini Countach :)

Aaron