BMW commercial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 17th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #1
John Hampton

BMW comercial

has anyone seen the new BMW comercial for their SUV? The commercial is incredible you watch 4 different parts of the same car with the same people in it in 4 totally different locales with no locked camera shot on any of the frames at thew same time. How in the world did they do this?
Old February 17th, 2004, 11:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I love wrapping my head around stuff like this, but I'm still working on figuring this one out.

The commercial is for the BMW X3, by the way.

My first guess is that it's a bluescreened motion control shot of the exterior of the vehicle.

CG in rotating wheels and motion blur, and then track the shot and render each of the four seasons as CG backgrounds with the X3 composited into each one.

Bring all four sequences into your favorite post program and use the "X" pattern as a mask to wipe between each background.

One of my favorite parts is the end where the "X" swishes into the "X" in "X3" in a split second...I personally like those kinds of touches in my work, also.
Old February 17th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Any word on a URL to this?
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Alex,

Not yet, I'll keep my eyes open for you and post here if I find it.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If you want to see something really cool check this out.....

http://bmwfilms.com/clap.asp?templat...country=&film=
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

Also see this thread on a similar topic. I posted a link
to a site that explains how the Cheetah commercial from
Mountain Dew was done which might give some insights.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The site I pointed to have movies that are made by BMW by top directors in the bizz Clive Owen plays the main actor in all the films with guest shots by other actors. It is worth the cruise over to the site.
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #8
John Hampton

I dont thing the wheels spinning are keyed in due to the fact that the shocks function when the car turns. Also i saw a video advertising the same car on TBS last night that just played the summer shot of the car driving around in some dry grassy hills. This was the same shot you see in the bottom left corner of the commercial.
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

John,

Is it possible then that they took this original summer footage and made it the original plate, then comped in various "seasons" from the original summer plate?
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The 4 videos are not identical. Look closely and you'll see some differences in position, movement and whatnot. It is very possible that they shot the same car 4 times with the same people inside, just at different locations. With the way computers can set things up these days, they could have had some sort of computerized tracking dolly/crane contraption that would move along the programmed path. Then it's back to the editing/compositing studio. I can only imagine how much fun that was to put together. It turned out great!
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 02:24 AM   #11
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ted Springer : The 4 videos are not identical. Look closely and you'll see some differences in position, movement and whatnot. It is very possible that they shot the same car 4 times with the same people inside, just at different locations. With the way computers can set things up these days, they could have had some sort of computerized tracking dolly/crane contraption that would move along the programmed path. Then it's back to the editing/compositing studio. I can only imagine how much fun that was to put together. It turned out great! -->>>

Thats what I was thinking too
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #12
Wrangler

The thing is, it's easy enough to motion control the camera, it's another thing to moco the car itself. It would have to travel at exactly the same speed, distance to camera, trajectory etc...looking forward to hearing the real skinny on how this was done!
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:43 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Charles,

Right. Exactly. After watching the commercial a few more times, it was obvious the car was not just sitting there. This one is really perplexing me. : )
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Got it, finally!

OK, found an article online that explains (very briefly) what they did.

The article can be found at:
http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...003/bmw/1.html

Basically they shot in New Zealand in July so that they could get all four seasons in one place. They used laser measurements (on the cameras I'm assuming) to make sure that the shots were as close as possible. The article says they designed "repetitive movement" so I'm guessing that they planned this one out to the smallest details.

Although they say they didn't want to emphasize on post production, Digital Domain had their hand in this and that tells me right there that there's more work done then we think. : )

Definitely an interesting ad.
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:16 AM   #15
Regular Crew

awesome commercial, my favorite one out right now.

btw, anyone know the music? i'm guessing it's amon tobin but i cannot locate it on any of his CDs that i have.

anyone?
Matthew Eastwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media