Is YouTube Doomed? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:17 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Free entertainment on the internet is a not a new business model. People have received free radio and tv for decades. Money is made through advertising. Nobody is really going to click on the annoying pop-up ads that will then earn you a nickel or whatever but someone will end up sitting through a 10-30 second ad to get to the video they want to see. Thus the success of Hulu. I would suggest adding someone to your crew that is in charge of finding sponsors for your independent work that will stream on the internet.
Edward Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Have you managed to do that?
Karel Bata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:48 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Andrew Job View Post
We are still locked at the transition point of going from a volunteer to a paid professional production. We are currently finishing off the post production and pickup shots still needed to get to picture lock status with a personal financial capitolization of close to $78K Canadian. (I've begun to seriously doubt my sanity). We are still looking for the way to make money on the Internet. (Is there a way ?)
Finally some insight. Producing content actually takes skill and financing in order to eat, live somewhere besides a tent and afford the technology to produce the content. At some point someone has to pay (usually the viewer). YouTube, and sites like it, are the HMOs of web video and content production. And while your sanity is in question the sanity of someone who would give you $78K with no hope for a return on investment is even more questionable.
Old April 25th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #19
Equal Opportunity Offender

Personally I would have wanted to figure out where the "income" part was going to come from and how it all works. For $78K I'd be wanting to sort out that issue before I "invested" anything, first building a functional prototype if possible.

I'm kinda scared for you. Hope it all works out.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Just got this mail from someone running a music upload service:

"I'm sorry to inform that I will close down this site. My reasons to put the online was simple. Let's make money to sell our creations. The money can only be made by selling something to mobiles. When previously you made 1M record sales, I could be an millionaire. Nowadays, you make 1M fans from Google's Myspace/Youtube and start to beg the money? Is that what you artists wan't to do?"

It's like swine fever. One of the reasons we're having a recession is this infectious loss of confidence...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media