The Passion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 28th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #1
Major Player

The Passion

Your personal religion views aside. What do you think about this movie. Mel Gibson is a great moviemaker. Plus the stories about them making this movie are pretty good.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

We already had to ditch one thread on this topic due to inappropriate responses. Remember, religion is a taboo subject here at DV Info. Technical discussions only, please. Thank you,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #3
Major Player

sorry Chris that's why I said those views aside. I'm sure there can be some points made about movie making!
Old February 28th, 2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Wrangler

I haven't seen the movie yet, but the clips played on Leno the past two nights didn't impress. Bizarre speed effects are one of my pet peeves--why did Mel Gibson feel that this movie needed to look like Braveheart and Gladiator? For example, in the betrayal/arrest, the scene abruptly transitions into artificial (post-generated) slow motion when Judas kisses Jesus, then jars back into regular speed for a line of dialogue. Then we're subjected to five or six in-camera slow motion close-ups of centurians. Then a post-generated ramp up to fast-motion for the ensuing skirmish, the camerawork straight out of Saving Private Ryan. A 30-second clip with no fewer than 10 changes in camera speed--it is the gospels or a Linkin Park video?

An interesting experiment: When it comes out on DVD, retime all the slow motion work to real time speed at home, and see if the film's running time doesn't end up at 30 minutes or so.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

I enjoyed the cinematography, well done for the subject matter.

I thought the slo-motion shots worked, but I think it was overdone at the end, some scenes became over-dramatic during the carrying of the cross, but they did end up highlighting some good images.

Even though I know the story, the movie was still suspenseful. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, it did, and then it got even worse, I was cringing at several points in the movie. It's not hitchcock, it's more like watching Hell Raiser, but in reverse.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 04:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I haven't seen it yet.. low on funds. But my friend just saw it and he really liked it. He said it seems as though everybody in the theatre was crying except him. He's not really religious, but he said if its all true, he definately did a lot. I still want to see it sometime... maybe when it comes out on DVD...
Gino Terribilini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:54 AM   #7
Major Player

$125 million for 5 days. It beat out Lord of the Rings.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : We already had to ditch one thread on this topic due to inappropriate responses. Remember, religion is a taboo subject here at DV Info. Technical discussions only, please. Thank you, -->>>

Is it not simpler to just make flame, disrespect, and personal attack taboo? It is obvious that politics are not taboo on DVI so why religion? The fact is everyone believes in something even if it is the DVX100. There is no real way to fairly off limits subcategories of opinion, and belief. Just my two cents Chris, but you seem to be taking the easy way out.

As for the movie, I want to see it for many reasons. One BIG reason is these kinds of movies in the past have been plagued with low production value. Even if the story was done right the production side ruined the movie. I want to see what big bucks and talent can do to in presenting the passion story. I only hope there is enough story left in there to carry all the visuals. I will probably see it next week.

Chris, thanks for all the hard work you put into this forum.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:14 PM   #9
Air China Pilot

//As for the movie, I want to see it for many reasons. One BIG reason is these kinds of movies in the past have been plagued with low production value. Even if the story was done right the production side ruined the movie. I want to see what big bucks and talent can do to in presenting the passion story. I only hope there is enough story left in there to carry all the visuals. I will probably see it next week.//

Surely, you don't mean this in the history of film. Biblical films used to be the "Star Wars" of their time and the most expensive movies.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:13 PM   #10
Wrangler

"It is obvious that politics are not taboo on DVI so why religion?"

All the Michael Moore threads were eventually locked up...

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:44 PM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by John Heskett :
Is it not simpler to just make flame, disrespect, and personal attack taboo? It is obvious that politics are not taboo on DVI so why religion? -->>>

You sure you read the forum rules when you signed on? Politics are just as taboo as religion. Flames, and personal attacks are also not tolerated here.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:20 PM   #12
Major Player

My biggest fear is someone will spoil the ending.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:23 PM   #13
Warden

What, you didn't read the book?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:36 PM   #14
New Boot

I enjoyed the entire film, but, yes it did shuttle back and forth in the opening sequence ( slo-mo, fast, etc). Besides all that a very important furniture mystery was solved. Mel attemted to make a series of moving Carravagio paintings and I think he did just that.
Jim Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:38 PM   #15
Wrangler

Does the movie establish which lucky son of a gun made off with the grail?

Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media