DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Oscars (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/22230-oscars.html)

Rob Lohman February 29th, 2004 08:32 PM

Oscars

So what did everybody think of this years Oscars?

Who watched realtime? It is my first time I'm actually watching it.

Boyd Ostroff February 29th, 2004 09:22 PM

You can't watch it realtime! Because of the Janet Jackson incident they're broadcasting with a delay of several seconds in case they need to "bleep" something. Ridiculous...

Edward Troxel February 29th, 2004 10:39 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : Ridiculous... -->>>

Ok, why is it Ridiculous?

Chris Hurd February 29th, 2004 11:49 PM

...because Janet wasn't even there?

Robert Knecht Schmidt March 1st, 2004 12:33 AM

A ho-hum year. Only awards surprise was the statue for Coppola--no especially funny comedy from the host--subdued musical performances--consistently flat gags from the presenters, Jack Black and Will Ferrell excepted--potential for censorship from the delay insured there'd be nothing resembling controversy (even the usually unpredictable Sean Penn held back).

The sweep for Lord of the Rings was for the trilogy, and not for the third film per se.

Chris Hurd March 1st, 2004 12:42 AM

In my opinion it was about time Penn received the accolades he so richly deserves.

Rob Lohman March 1st, 2004 05:59 AM

I meant with realtime watching it as it went instead of watching
the reruns. I went to bed at 06:15 AM... ouch. Up at 9.30 again.
I had a nice time watching it and thought the little intro movie
was nice.

I don't think LoTR deserved 11 oscars in my humble opinion. It
was a very nice movie (and trilogy), but not I guess it just isn't
my story. I really liked all of the movies and will own them all on
DVD, but there are a lot of movies (including releases from 2003)
that are above any of the LoTR movies on my list.

Must have been a pain for all the other nominies that LoTR got
so many. Oh well.

Heath McKnight March 1st, 2004 07:24 AM

LOTR won an award for EVERY nomination they had.

hwm

Rick Bravo March 1st, 2004 10:42 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

At least they have shortened the acceptance speeches.

Although a brilliant actor, Penn should keep his mouth shut unless he is reading his scripted lines!

RB

Vic Owen March 1st, 2004 11:03 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : LOTR won an award for EVERY nomination they had.

hwm -->>>

While many of the awards were deserved, was the Oscar for best song, which runs over the credits, really recognizable? OK, everyone, hum the tune, "Into the West" (or whatever....).

Wayne Orr March 2nd, 2004 12:06 AM

I thought the music number for "Les Triplettes de Belleville" was the highlight of the evening. Bet it had Django grinnin' in his grave.

Keith Loh March 2nd, 2004 12:08 AM

I rented Lost in Translation instead. Very beautiful and tender movie. I expect good things from Sofia Coppola. Very assured direction.

I'll just repeat my reaction to the Oscars from my blog here:

I have no problem with Return of the King getting such a lot of recognition this year (11 wins out of 11 noms) except that it is silly Oscar voting again.

The Return of the King wasn't the best individual film of the year. The trilogy as a whole was probably the greatest achievement of the past five years in film. But since there is no such category for that in the Oscars, the voters did the predictable and rewarded Jackson and all for their monumental efforts.

Lost in Translation, out of all the nominees for Best Picture, was the best choice that I had seen. Even Seabiscuit, the cliched horse racing movie, deserved recognition over King. It had cinematography that would have won in any other year. City of God also had to console itself with having high profile nominations this year because its release had been mistimed by Miramax in the States (mistimed for award recognition, not commercial success). If I had my own special category, I would have named City of God the best film of the past two years.

I haven't seen my own country's winning entry: The Barbarian Invasions. Boo me. I'm happy that Errol Morris finally won. The Fog of War was a good film, though not the best documentary I saw this year. That was Bus 182.

Robert Knecht Schmidt March 2nd, 2004 02:01 AM

I had the chance to see Bus 182 but passed it up just based on the printed summary. What made it so good?

Bob Zimmerman March 2nd, 2004 04:51 AM

I taped it an watched it later. I bet Robbins and Penn keep there mouths shut because Clint Eastwood probably ask them to.

Did anyone notice how upset Bill Murry looked? The host even said, "don't leave Bill"

Rob Lohman March 2nd, 2004 05:13 AM

He has reason to be upset. He's getting quite "old" and never
did receive an oscar. This year was his first nomination and I
do think he was terrific in Lost in Translation!