Arrested Development: best show shot on video! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 24th, 2004, 02:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Arrested Development: best show shot on video!

In case you dont know about fox's second best show of all time that's also ratings impaired, AD is a hilarious satire comedy thats smart and also shot on video. Now I'm no fox fan, but you gotta give them props for taking a risk on such a bold comedy. It's DIFFERENT.
The style it's shot in is arguably amaturish, it's all hand held, often over exposed, but it's all in the name of satire of the reality shows that plagues our tv sets. i could do without all the intentional shakes, but it's really a small thing compared to the brilliant hilarity.
Anyway, AD is the perfect example of how video can be as least as good, if not more effective, than film. If you havent watched AD yet, and you're a Nielson viewer, watch this show! It's my favorite show on tv without a doubt, and it'll probably be cancelled
Old March 24th, 2004, 02:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Time Lapse Music

Is the music that your using from Enya?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:01 AM   #3
Wrangler

Really funny show. And the look is intentional--it started off posing as a semi-reality show but quickly just became a style. Great writing & delivery.
Old March 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I enjoy that show as well. The dysfunction makes me feel right at home.

I get a kick out of the fact that so many people are so wrapped up in this entire "film look" craze, yet it was not too many years ago when most sitcoms were shot on video, and you know what?? The general public didnt care! I don't really think they care now either.

Of course some shows just wouldnt look right shot on video. Scrubs, ER, CSI, etc. But still, looking back at Married with Children, that show was shot on video and had some of the worst looking sets in the history of television, and no one cared!

I've never thoroughly looked into it, but I believe the HBOshow Curb Your Enthusiasm is shot on video as well, and has some sort of film look filter applied to it in post to take the edge off, although some scenes you can just see the smoothness of video.

Even with this point of view, i still find myself using film look filters on most of my projects. I guess its just a preference thing.

Eddie
Edward Natale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #5
Wrangler

"Curb" is shot on 24p HD.
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:26 AM   #6
Wrangler

And the first seasons of Curb were shot on Beta. (I only know this because I once called up the producer to ask him. The first time I saw the show was a tape Larry David had brought in to a writing class I was taking, and I thought it might have been XL1. He didn't know the answer but gave me the producer's number.)

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank both of you gentlemen for the info.

Eddie
Edward Natale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media