What should I call myself at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #1
New Boot

What should I call myself

Hi everyone.
I've now done several DVDs of concert performances etc.
I am asking you to give me some ideas as to what "title" I should give myself.

Some of these DVDs are now going on sale by the performers, at their concerts or by online purchase.
The music DVDs aren't being "published" as such by a large company, eg Sony EMI etc. The performers are getting a few dozen copies made at a time, with in house disk and slip printing.

So far I've put my name down as "Concert Video Producer" or simply added my name to the other credits. It gets a bit boring to see my name included with the camera people, sound people, lighting people, etc, and then put "editing etc by CTC"

My contribution to the music DVDs has been:
Video cameras (sometimes I've had extra cameras run by other "friends of the band")
Sound recording. Often with a separate recorder such as a zoom, and sometimes with a split from the sound desk.
Lighting. I often set up static lighting for the concert, and once or twice they had a professional lighting guy do the concert.
Editing: I collect all of the videos, audio, etc, capture it, colour balance, and do the multi cam edit and the sound edit from all sources. Add titles, credits and other text.
DVD authoring: put on all of the titles to each track, do credit rolls, and author a full DVD with chapters, etc.

Is there any other title that you could think of that would simply sum up my part as the "main video guy" who makes it all happen.

Needless to say, these are really small bands, or single performers, who would never be able to afford a full professional music video to be made. They put this stuff up onto youtube, and link it from their own websites. One has now got over 100,000 hits, which is pretty good for an obscure cello player from the Blue Mountains outside Sydney Australia. The DVD sales are unlikely to ever exceed 100, but it is often the occasional concert goer who would like a momento of the performance.

Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions.
Chris

here is a link to my YT clips
YouTube - Tarantella Cello Georg Mertens Jenolan Cathedral
Chris Callaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Major Player

I think you should credit yourself as Martin Scorsese did on The Last Waltz along with an editing credit. You are directing the shoot, are you not? On TLW, Scorsese had professional DPs such as Lazlo Kovaks out shooting for him. Now, he had a detailed screenplay worked out for the shoot but that went out the window as soon as the concert fired up because no one could hear anyone over the walkie talkie system that they had.

Muddy Waters got hustled on to the stage during a time when everyone was changing their film magazine and Kovaks alone had a camera. It's instructive to watch how he creates visual interest knowing that the only footage of Waters that will be in the movie, is the footage that he shoots.

And then you get an editor credit. You're probably entitled to a producer credit as well.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Callaghan View Post
any useful suggestions.
I've used 'Filmed by', 'an X presentation', 'a film by' and 'produced & directed by' as end boards, or the penultimate board before the entity that paid for it. 'Filmed' seems to cover a multitude of sins, and 'a film by' encompasses most loose ends.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media