DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Need ideas for studio facility project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/23660-need-ideas-studio-facility-project.html)

Ignacio Rodriguez March 28th, 2004 04:53 PM

Need ideas for studio facility project

Hi. I have an uncle which is prepared to invest in the construction and operation of a small media facility, could be used as a TV or audio studio. I want to convince him of the importance of building a high-quality acoustically designed space. He has construction workers, expertise and materials at hand so it makes sense because from his standpoint it's less expensive to build (no pun intended) value which in this market is not the norm. TV studio facilities available for rent in Chile are usually non-treated, rectangular buildings not built with this kind of use in mind. So I am searching for ideas that will help me convince him to take the idea seriously and invest. Any ideas that might help? Thanks!

Keith Loh March 28th, 2004 05:02 PM

Perhaps the easiest way to accomplish one part of this is to arrange for a tour of an existing professional facility that does meet the standards you set.

Ignacio Rodriguez March 28th, 2004 05:16 PM

That's a very good idea and I had not though of it. That would a very good first step. Thanks!

Ken Tanaka March 28th, 2004 06:55 PM

Certainly, I am not familiar with the Chilean studio market nor with your uncle. But if your uncle is a businessman (as he sounds to be) and his interest is truly one of investment rather than appeasement of a nephew, then you may need to approach this as a true financial proposition.

Investment implies a return. That's what makes it different from an expense. What will it cost to build such a facility? What will be the cost to capitalize that investment? What will it cost to maintain the studio (ex: insurance, taxes, et.al.)? What are the genuine prospects for producing revenue from it? What will make a first-class studio more attractive to perennially penny-pinching film and music producers? What is the value proposition to them? Who is competing for such projects in your market? What are the prospects for unloading this investment in the future at a reasonable time-adjusted value? Etc.

If my nephew approached me with such an idea, these are the questions I would expect him to credibly answer.

Michael Wisniewski March 28th, 2004 07:47 PM

Also, survey current customers and see what they're looking for, what they think they'll pay for, and what they wish existed on the market.

Ignacio Rodriguez March 28th, 2004 11:16 PM

> What are the genuine prospects for producing revenue from it?

Thank You Ken, Michael.

We already have an idea of what we can make per day based on what others charge for similar spaces and services. And we also already have two customers, actually my uncle does... so he is half-convinced already :-)

I also have a client for an album production... he just needs the mix (the project will be recorded somwhere else) but at least it will be a good first audio credit.