DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Who on DVinfo has the coolest website? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/23749-who-dvinfo-has-coolest-website.html)

Matt Gettemeier March 29th, 2004 04:23 PM

Who on DVinfo has the coolest website?

Hey guys... I'm trying to design a kickin' website and I'm looking for some inspiration. As far as I can tell, it looks like FLASH sites are by far the tightest.

I'm definitely not looking to copy anybody's site... I just want to see some examples of professional looking, high-end sites.

John Locke had my favorite site up till now and I'm guessing his new one is going to be super-cool too. Since you can't see it now the old site had a film-strip style menu down the right side and it stayed full-scale as the site was boxed down or up. In the main portion of the site was a nude woman, alla statuesque, holding a torch (sound familiar?) but anyway it was REALLY cool. The torch had moving beams of light and the overall site was WAY tight.

I also like Keith Loh's site. It's not as complex as John's was, but it still has a professional, unified character.

There's a guy I used to talk to in New York... I'm sure some of you have seen one of his shorts... If you want to see some really good work AND a unified professional site go to http://www.ryantown.com/ and click on "the work" then go to "page o' posterity" and you'll see that Ryan has done some serious sh*t.

Anyway, so who on DVinfo has the BEST site? Previously I woulda' said John's was best... but right now I think he's working on it...

The site for LadyX was really good too. I think that was Rob and some other talented guys who put that together... like maybe um, John?

I'd just like to find out "whose who" with websites around here and hopefully I can learn something through observation.

Frank Granovski March 29th, 2004 07:43 PM

My idea of the coolest website is one with great content, free from bloatware and javacr_p. Text is just fine! My vote goes to Chris Hurd's website. :-))

Barry Gribble March 29th, 2004 11:04 PM

We've gotten some pretty good on our Flash site:

http://www.integralarts.com/

The news is a bit out of date because this site is primarily for getting web development contracts and I've been doing more video projects...

We are happy with the general organization and concise nature... the fun part is mousing around the banner image for navigation...

Let me know what you think and good luck on your site...

Rob Lohman March 30th, 2004 03:25 AM

Matt: credit where credit is due, that's all John's work! Ofcourse we talked about certain things behind the scenes, but John did all the actual work for that!

Aaron: I really like your fire academy site. Great job!

Ed Smith March 30th, 2004 03:30 AM

I think my sites pretty cool:

www.videoproduction4u.tv

The content needs to be updated.

Ed

Matt Gettemeier March 30th, 2004 09:04 AM

Thanks guys! This is the kind of stuff I was talking about... that's some really good work.

Barry, I assume that's flash that's moving everything on your site? BTW that's what I was talking about when I said "tight". That is a good site that delivers the message well.

Well I gotta' get back to the drawing board... I think I'm gonna' scrap everything I had done so far. It's too flashy and seems imature compared to these other tight sites.

My first mistake was making sure I used every pixel of space I had then all my friends called and said they had to scroll to see anything! Doh!

Now all my friends like what they see, but I'm the most artistic of my local friends and I would have rather seen them be CRITICAL... So if you want to do me a favor and CARVE ME UP... please! Then take a peek at www.gettreel.com and keep in mind that I have basically nothing done. I wasn't even going to mention it yet for obvious reasons.

Up till yesterday the reel-to-reel design was in all the pages, but I found that as the page growed it repeated... so then I made it a gif and I found that any text over a gif makes the gif file big, so I'm going to come up with a repeating gif type logo that changes in the way the integralarts logo changes... maybe not blur, but changing emphasis in some way.

So if you look at my site, does it scream amature? Personally I think it does... and I'm probably going to change the overly flashy crap later today... but I'd like some input if you feel compelled.

As far as I can tell the best sites are free of bloat (yeah Frank, Chris has my favorite forum site by far!)... and the best sites deliver the message well...

Is flash pretty easy to do? I'm just learning FrontPage and I'm less then a WEEK into "designing websites" so I'm as green and UNknowledgeable as I could possibly be! I need help!

Kevin Lee March 30th, 2004 09:08 AM

This site might interest you.
Great film-makers in asia.

http://www.moviola.com.hk

John Locke March 30th, 2004 02:04 PM

Holy mackerel, Matt...thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate that.

Yep...the "lady" is gone for now, but I suspect she'll turn up in the future. What you see on my site now is simply the framework...lots of content still to format. Will you like it? I hope so... but I'm setting out to do something a tad different, so I suspect it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Funny timing for your post, though. Looks like you posted it on the exact same day that I posted the new framework.

I'll have to reiterate what everyone else is saying...the best site I know, by far, is this one right here. I spend more time at DVInfo.net, whether at the forums or perusing the articles and info, more than any other site by far. This is truly a valuable resource and I learn something every day from it.

Aside from DVInfo, there are lots of good member's sites that I've seen in the past, all good for different reasons. I've checked out the links above and frankly like all of them. They're all different in style and substance but all achieve what they set out to do. I have to admit, Ryantown.com has long been a favorite. I'm surprised you even considered my previous site to be in that category, Matt.

There are some good wrangler sites... Robert Knecht Smith's site is blog style and has tons of photos and info. Jeff Donald's site has lots of great photos. If you want to get jealous of what someone does for a living, check out Boyd Ostroff's homepage. Although I don't think he makes the actual site, you'll see photos of what he does do and they're stunning. Dylan Couper showcases some of his photography and is a good example of a business-like site. Frank Granovski always has lots of good information at his site. Imran Zaidi looks like he has an interesting Flash site in the works--I'll be keeping an eye on that as it develops. Those are some of the wrangler's pages that are worth a visit. My apologies if I've left any out... I need to go on a site surf again soon.

As for member's pages...whew! There are TONS of good ones that I've seen in the past. Problem is, I haven't always bookmarked them. I'll see if I can dig up a few of them and post them later. Keith Loh will definitely be on that list...you need to grab a beer and settle in before going to his site because there's lots to read.

Frank Granovski March 30th, 2004 02:24 PM

dvfreak should be updated soon. This is my other website: http://www.8palm.com - I don't know if it's cool though. It's about bagua/martial art training. I still say dvinfo is the coolest. :-))

Ed Smith March 30th, 2004 02:33 PM

I don't know John...

You left out the newest wranglers website ;)

I'll forgive you though.

John Locke March 30th, 2004 02:35 PM

Sorry, Ed...since you were already in the "above" category, I didn't list you. My apologies. ;)

Imran Zaidi March 30th, 2004 02:47 PM

Eeeek! John, I didn't know anybody was looking!

Yes, after much procrastinating, I'm finally getting my site together. Mainly because I've been working in post on a short right now and had nowhere to put stills and possibly a trailer, which is embarrassing because I make web sites for a living.

Doh! Your own stuff is always the last to get done.

Dylan Couper March 30th, 2004 06:38 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke :

Dylan Couper showcases some of his photography and is a good example of a business-like site.

Keith Loh will definitely be on that list...you need to grab a beer and settle in before going to his site because there's lots to read. -->>>

My website is a Keith Loh design. Credit where credit is due.
Here's Keith's site http://www.keithloh.com/

Aaron Rosen March 30th, 2004 09:12 PM

Thanks Rob.

I just had my first shoot for them today. I will be uploading my progress as their training moves along.

Today we just shoot their inspection drill. I was glad I didnt have to do pushups...

- AR

Dan Holly March 31st, 2004 11:38 AM

unrelated site, but an example

Here is a site that I built in 1997 and has withstood the test of time. Without any marketing it held it's own in the early years regarding sales.

FYI, this whole site is optimized so heavy it will fit on an old school floppy disc.

It took me about 8 months to build it @ a rate or 2-4 hours per week (my spare time back then).

http://www.i-fish.com