DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Where to buy a good clamshell iBook (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/23752-where-buy-good-clamshell-ibook.html)

Heath McKnight March 29th, 2004 04:34 PM

Where to buy a good clamshell iBook

Remember the first "clamshell" iBooks? They were over ordered in late 1999 but were very popular. I ended up buying a PowerBook because I couldn't get one. By May 2001, they came out with the spiffier ones that we know and love (even with the tasty G4 upgrade).

But, I want one of those clamshell/candy-looking iBooks for writing and websurfing/eBaying. But I don't want to spend $500 at Powermax.com.

So, where's a good, reliable place to buy a candy-colored, clamshell iBook?

Thanks,

heath

Jeff Donald March 29th, 2004 04:53 PM

Small Dog Electronics has used Macs from time to time. Have you looked at the online Apple Store? Last week they had refurbished G3 iBooks for about $600 and unopened ones for about $700. I don't see them there now unfortunately. But keep checking back if you're not in a big hurry.

Heath McKnight March 29th, 2004 04:59 PM

Yeah, I've been buying from Small Dog for almost three years! But I'm looking for older than the ones they sell!

THANKS!

heath

Jeff Donald March 29th, 2004 05:06 PM

Sometimes you have to call them for the older equipment. Does your school qualify for the Apple Education Discounts? It only applies to new equipment though.

I've heard good things about PowerBook Guy from my students, but I have no personal experience with them.

Heath McKnight March 29th, 2004 05:50 PM

I haven't, either, but their layout is strange on the site...

heath

Boyd Ostroff March 29th, 2004 05:58 PM

Just curious... have you actually used one of these recently? We got one at work back when they first came out and still have it. Seems painfully s-l-o-w by today's standards. I think ours is a G3/266. We also have some of the first batch of 12" iBooks which are G3/500's. They're not speed demons, but are a huge improvement.

Aaron Rosen March 29th, 2004 06:17 PM

Ive got a Grey one. I can ask the love of my life if she will part with it.

Heath McKnight March 29th, 2004 07:19 PM

Let me know. Boyd, I just want to do screenwriting, regular writing and some eBay stuff. It'll be a back-up to my G5.

Thanks all,

heath

Jeff Donald March 29th, 2004 08:49 PM

You might also want to look at the G3 PowerBooks from a little earlier in time, G3 Pismo and Lombard. The Pismo has FireWire and a DVD-ROM drive. The Lombard is a year older (1999) less ram, smaller drives, slower processor, heavier, slower buss, but still faster than an original iBook and lighter.

Aaron Rosen March 29th, 2004 10:09 PM

I also have a 500mzh G4 Powerbook Ti. It's almost 3 years old and well used but still works great. You can make an offer on that if you like. Still working on the clam shell.

Heath McKnight March 29th, 2004 11:10 PM

How much for the TiBook?

Aaron Rosen March 29th, 2004 11:16 PM

Donno what its worth. What do you think?

Heath McKnight March 29th, 2004 11:19 PM

$660 on eBay. A bit out of my price range, though....

heath

Jeff Donald March 31st, 2004 06:17 AM

The Apple Store has refurbished iBooks again, newer models, but higher prices.

Heath McKnight March 31st, 2004 08:43 AM

macmall.com has new 800 mhz machines for $699.

heath