Pixies: Should I get the greatest hits, or buy their albums individually? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Pixies: Should I get the greatest hits, or buy their albums individually?

Hey everyone,

After years of listening to bands who were inspired by the Pixies (Radiohead, etc.), I finally got into the legendary band. Now, I can buy Waves of Mutilation, their 2004 greatest hits album, or should I buy their albums individually?

I know that seems like an obvious question, but I'm coming into the band completely cold.

Thanks,

Heath
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

skip the greatest hits albums. most of the pixies best songs aren't "greatest hits".
start with Doolittle.
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Thanks, Luke. I bought Surfer Rosa, so Doolittle is next.

heath
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Surfer Rosa and Doolittle are my favorite albums. If you can find it, Come On Pilgrim is a good one. That was their first album (then SR, then Doolittle).

Heath, didn't realize you were so close. I'm in WPB.
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:28 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Thomas,

I used to live in Wellington for over 20 years and now live in Plantation (I need to update that). Where in WPB/Lake Worth are you at?

I am listening to Surfer Rosa and Doolittle when I can--I need to just throw it on and do a work out. It's the only time I can listen to a full album anymore...

Heath
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

About 2 blocks from downtown. My parents currently live in Binks Forrest. Its funny how influential the Pixies were and not much air play in the 90s. At least not in South FL.
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

Binks Forest has the number two elementary school in Florida. I remember when they built that place--I was going to middle school over there.

Anyway, back on topic: I am a latecomer to Pixies, but as I listen to Surfer Rosa, I hear how they influenced so many bands of the 1990s and 2000s.

heath
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Def get Dolittle. For the song Wave of Mutilation, try finding the version off the Pump Up The Volume soundtrack (91 movie featuring Christian Slater. Actually a pretty good soundtrack overall). It's a slower version of the song, IIRC. You can probably get it off iTunes or an MP3 thru Amazon if your not into iTunes/Ipods/Iphones etc..
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

I do both iTunes and Amazon. I have Doolittle, just need to listen to it during my next workout!!

I'll look for the alternate version of that song. I never did see Pump Up the Volume, but it seemed to be popular when it came out (I was a freshman in high school, I think).

Thanks!

Heath
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I almost forgot! The first track of Doolittle, Debaser, is about a famous film Un Chien Andalou. Great abstract film. Check it out. Slicing up eyeballs!
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media