Jagged edge when video pans, what's the cause? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Jagged edge when video pans, what's the cause?

I notice that when watching fast moving videos, I usually see the edges of the objects in the video becoming very jaggedy. When the motion slows down, everything looks fine. I happens with various sources including: Blu-Ray movies on my computer, downloaded HD videos, edited videos off my Canon HV10,... I suspect it's my PC, but don't know what is the weakest link in my rig.

Thanks,
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Simple answer is it's probably interlace artifacts, but there are many things which could be the cause... the "combing" effect happens when an object is in motion while the camera is capturing two sucessive "half" frames consisting of every other line, then the other frame set of every other line. The slight difference can casue artifacts depending on how your hardware/software/display handles it.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Simple answer is it's probably interlace artifacts, but there are many things which could be the cause... the "combing" effect happens when an object is in motion while the camera is capturing two sucessive "half" frames consisting of every other line, then the other frame set of every other line. The slight difference can casue artifacts depending on how your hardware/software/display handles it.
Dave,

Assuming it's interlace artifacts, what can I do to eliminate the problem? More than likely that's what it is. My player is Arcsoft Total Media Theater and/or Nero.

Thanks,
Norris Combs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media