Songs and More Songs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 31st, 2004, 12:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Songs and More Songs

I was wondering if you guys would want to share some of the songs/music you use or would recommend for any or all of the following video situations (whether in album format or with actual footage):

1. Graduations

2. Weddings

3. Family Events

4. Any other's that might have specific songs.

Thanks in advance.
Clay
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:18 PM   #2
Major Player

I am curious as well...
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:19 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

Find a commercial DJ's page. Often they have playlists.
Old March 31st, 2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Major Player

If you're going to produce the video professionally (for compensation), you may want to think of the consequences of using music that you are legally required to pay for. Even though I don't produce video professionally, I bought a software program called SonicFire Pro, produced by SmartSound, for adding "filler" music to portions of my soundtracks. It has actually been discussed a bit in the audio forum. Not the height of creativity, but at least you don't have all the potential legal hassles. Smart Sound packages tracks for use in the kinds of events you mentioned, among other things.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Major Player

I wanted this discussion to revolve around "hypothetical" situations and situations where all legal aspects have been taken care of where there would be no "legal repercussions." I currently use soundtracks for "filler" but wanted other ideas or examples of those that use "paid for" music. I realize this is a touchy subject. If anyone has examples or ideas of songs that work well, I would love to hear about them. Thanks.
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Man, I think it varies so much the list could be endless, if copyright issues were not, well, issues. I have done some test shots with my new cam and played with several ideas, using my kids in different locations as subjects. I have been putting it together and using different stuff from Enya (Book of Days, etc) for a soundtrack. I really like that type of music for non-descript shooting like that, because it creates such a wonderful open mood, and seems to always fit.
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. In that case, I would probably buy the cheapie wedding music compilation cd I've seen at Tower Records just to get a starting point in the classical genre and would also browse through works by those you might call American balladeers like The Carpenters, James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkel and Carole King. Probably Rod Stewart's "Great American Songbook" albums 1 & 2 have a lot of standards that would work for weddings and there are cheap compilation cds for the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc., often available at Costco, that make it easy to access pop tunes that bring a bit of nostalgia to family events.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

final cut pro 4 comes with an app called "soundtrack" that makes it really easy to make yer own music that sounds increadibly good.

also, the new iLife ($49 USD) comes with "garageband" that will let you make music on yer mac as well.

the days of stock audio are over as far as i am concerned. i have been making my own for months now. no need for anything else, unless of course, you need s&g's "me and julio down by the schoolyard" for a certain specific situation.
(and if that's the case, you should just move on to a better project, IMHO.)
Matthew Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:58 PM   #9
Major Player

matt,

see my post above. i use soundtrack and from what i understand it is better than garageband. thanks anyway.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:07 PM   #10
Major Player

OK, I'll bite:

1) School's Out

2) White Wedding

3) Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

4) The Haunnakah Song

(OK, so this one's a little tongue-in-cheek. But I had to derail this thread from the direction it was going :D )
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

There are usually a lot of standard graduation songs.
-Time for me to fly - REO Speedwagon
-That song by Green Day ( i can't remember the title)
-The graduation song - Vitamin C

There are sooo many more!

For weddings, well that should be up to the bride and the groom what music they want. Most couples have a set list of a few songs that mean something to them that they want used for their wedding music.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media