Once upon a time in Mexico at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 19th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Once upon a time in Mexico

concerning the "special features" section of the dvd ( 10 min. flick school, inside troublemaker studios, 10 min. cook school ), anyone have any idea which camera is being used? it's obvious in "cook school", that it must be very small, minidv, jvc- hd? the footage looks great, very low light, great color. it's great that he shares so much, nice seeing his setup, but all i really want to know is which camera he's holding (using).

any ideas or help would be appreciated

ps do you think there's been any post done to it for color ( i don't think post could help with such low light. am i wrong?)
Joe Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't know what cam he used, but it is possible to correct for lowlight in post -- much like Photoshop can bring out details in photographs that appear to be lost in darkness, programs like After Effects, et al, have options like "Levels" that will halp correct lowlight issues in video footage.

Unlike film, the dark areas of digital images still hold a good bit of information -- which is why (if you have to choose between the lesser of two evils) it's better to underexpose than overexpose digital videos/photos.

If I had Rodriguez's incredible setup (jeez, my house doesn't even have a garage!), I would tweak every bit of video that I shot -- from birthday parties to DVD featurettes, and add a killer soundtrack to all of it, too! :D

That DVD is worth the price just for the bonus features alone. Great stuff.

(sorry I can't help w/ the camera!)
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 08:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Unlike film? Normally exposed film starts out with a wider range than video. Then, on top of that, you can pull even more detail out of the highlights and dark areas.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Belics : Unlike film? Normally exposed film starts out with a wider range than video. Then, on top of that, you can pull even more detail out of the highlights and dark areas. -->>>

Amen to that.

mg
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:49 PM   #5
Major Player

From my experience in the darkroom (albeit limited), digital images seem to have more info than expected in the darkest areas -- an underexposed digital images seems easier to save than an underexposed film image. Perhaps this is simply that I have more powerful tools at my disposal when editing digital images.

At a recent lecture I attended, though, cinematographer Bill Wages seemed to say the same thing (that digital images held more info in their dark areas, but less in the overexposed areas, than film). John Jackman sort-of touched on the point of my comment when he wrote, "Much more than film, overexposure on video is a no-no. When in doubt, underexpose" in http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=16010

Regardless, my aside about "unlike film" has little to do with the original question. My point was that one can fix some lowlight issues in post, as per Joe's question.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 11:15 PM   #6
Wrangler

"Much more than film, overexposure on video is a no-no. When in doubt, underexpose."

This is true; while underexposed digital images may be dominated by noise, overexposure results in large numbers of pixel valued at the upper limit of intensity (255, 255, 255 for standard dynamic range images)--information that cannot be recovered. Contrast this with an underexposed image which, when brightened, will be grainy but may still reveal some signal amidst the muck.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

camera?

so, no idea on the camera. someone doesn't know someone, that know's someone, that has worked either with rodriquez or on the dvd.

still hoping
Joe Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

This is merely conjecture, but maybe he's using one of the two CineAltas he reportedly owns.

mg
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 03:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

so, a little out of my price range then, lol.

thanks matt
Joe Ryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media