Name some innovative movies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 1st, 2004, 07:06 PM   #1
Trustee

Name some innovative movies

Can you name some movies that pushed the form of cinema, and are still at the frontier by today's standards? How were they original?

To name some examples:
2001: Sparse dialog, with emphasis on the score.
Breaking the Waves: Jump cuts to disorient the viewer.
Magnolia: Illustrations to support the narration.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:56 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

Many of Akira Kurosawa's movies that were pre-war or early post-war are marvels of composition. They have fluid, modern direction that you would recognize in many movies today.
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:50 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I second Keith's nomination for Kurosawa. Largely as a result of Keith and Dylan's interest in samurai films I recently purchased a Criterion Collection edition of some of Akira Kurosawa's samurai films. Watching "Seven Samurai" with the commentary track playing is like a mini-film school. I highly recommend this if you're genuinely interested in the fine points of a really fine film. Lest you think that Kurosawa's samurai films are irrelevant, think again. Their basic model of story and many of their visual attributes have been replicated so often during the past 50 years they've nearly become cliche. You'll find the form over and over, even today.

If you really want to look for works that defined the artform you have to travel back to works such as "Birth of a Nation" and Abel Gantry's "Napoleon". The number of noteworthy references is far too numerous to list here.

For a very good tour, get a copy of "A Personal Journey With Martin Scorsese Through American Movies".

For more of a cinematographers' perspective, get a copy of "Visions of Light: The Art of Cinematography"

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:29 PM   #4
Air China Pilot

Also, much of his catalogue are non-samurai films. "Stray Dog", "Drunken Angel", "Ikuru", "High and Low" are all excellent movies that are set in post-war Japan.
Old May 1st, 2004, 11:16 PM   #5
Major Player

I think Tarantinos PULP FICTION made people step back and look at how movies are made; numerous copycat films because of it. Funny, I always got the impression that his films were very similar to early DePalma (Compostions and Style)

DIE HARD I think changed how the action film is made in terms of PREMISES.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

blade runner for sci-fi. will a sci-fi movie ever get made again that is as cool as this one?

Citizen kane, the techincal things they did in that movie were ahead of there time and still used today.

those are the obvious kinds i guess..

i think 3 movies john frankenhiemer did in the 60's were pretty great at pushing film in another direction...

-Seven Days in May
-The Manchurian Candidate (there was an amazing sequence in this movie when some soldiers were being interviewed by officials from china and russia... brilliant!)
-Seconds (my fav)

the way he used wide angle lenses and "Snorri" cams (cameras attached to people with rods ala darren aronofsky) to help push the story along were amazing.

http://www.rich-lee.com
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:18 AM   #7
Outer Circle

"Last Tango in Paris." First film I studied at university. It opened my eyes for possiblities.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Spike Lee has alot of shots in his movies where the background is moving when characters are walking and talking, but the characters themselves seem to be standing still. Almost like they're floating.

Very different, I must say.
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM   #9
Inner Circle

<<"Last Tango in Paris." First film I studied at university. It opened my eyes for possiblities.
<<

Yes, everyones' attitudes toward butter changed forever.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media