Legal Question...(not media related) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 5th, 2004, 07:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Legal Question...(not media related)

Edited. Thanks for the replies.
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Dustin,
If what you have posted is what happened, I don't see where you have much to worry about. I was in Law Enforcement for 13 years and this is just my opinion but if he was making threats and had the ability to carry them out then you had reason to fear for the safety of you and your family members. I would say whatever it took to make that threat go away. I don't think you have very much to worry about. If he does go through with it, go ahead and get an attorney. It may cost you a few dollars but it is better than the alternative.

Good Luck,
Barry

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Barry.
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #4
Wrangler

Dustin, I can't give you legal advice -- my malpractice carrier won't allow it. As a general proposition, if your local jurisdiction has an ordinance precluding obscene language in front of children, it is probably enforceable (and constitutional). There was a well-publicized case involving a similar fact pattern last year. Lots of people threaten to have others arrested but, generally, it takes a pretty clear case before the police will act on a complaint (unless the individual wishes to make a citizen's arrest). My suggestion is that you don't discuss this publicly, just in case anything comes up. You might also ask Chris to delete this thread, as what you write here is considered an admission and admissible as evidence against you. If the cops come calling, don't say a word to them and get yourself legal counsel immediately. If you're really worried now, call your local public defender or legal aid organization and see if you can an informed opinion as to whether or not you face any potential liability.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:51 AM   #5
Major Player

If Chris would delete the thread to help someone cover up a crime would he be in trouble for that?

Has a thread every been used in a court case?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Maybe Dustin woudl choose to edit his own post.

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media