Old folks only--no kids allowed :) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 16th, 2004, 12:52 AM   #1
Wrangler

Old folks only--no kids allowed :)

I got home from a three-hour event shoot a couple hours ago. The guy who hired me wanted to use one of my cameras, so my friends stayed at home this time. That left me as the lone pack mule.

Several trips hauling in equipment, standing or moving up and down an aisle the whole event...I'm beat. As I sit here still waiting for the Advil to take effect, I picture what it must have looked like (I'm 5'2") as I struggled out the door with both camera bags (stuffed to the gills) strapped on each shoulder, a tripod, and an extension cord so I could save an extra trip. Who's sorry now...

So I'm wondering, is there a cart kind of like what hotel valets use--only collapsible to fit in my SUV and w/pneumatic tires? Would that be cool? :)
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:00 AM   #2
Outer Circle

My car has a small trunk, so I never think about these things. (I'm 50.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:39 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Schlepping is the least favorite aspect of this undertaking. (I'll be 50 soon, too.) I'm always in search of some fit young fellows who'll take a few bucks as porters.

But wheels are your friends.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:44 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

I have a rolling tool box, that has been the perfect camera case for me- http://www.zag.co.il/products_inner...=8&this=491 It has plenty of room for my camera, all batteries, mics, filters, tapes, roll up extension cord, tools... everything except the tripod and lights.

And if need be, I can climb on top of it to shoot over heads, and sit on it between shots.
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have one of those Stanley tool chest with a handle and wheels. It is black heavy plastic and is a dandy for putting all kinds of stuff in. I can get a single light without stand, a dual light with stand, a hand held camera stablizer, foldable reflector with cover, monopod, camera with bag, shotgun mic, xlr adapter, mic and extension cords, assorted batteries, bungees, pins, and clips, tape and so on in this one. Now it is a tight fit and all this stuff only goes in one way. I have to carry the tripod. This chest is 28"L, 20"W, and 19"H. I'm 45 and need this thing.
Old May 16th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #6
Major Player

These are the carts we have been using for the last 15 years.

http://www.salesmakercarts.com/sm286.html

They are worth their weight in gold. You can load to the 300 pound limit and still be able to remove it and take it out of the vehicle by yourself without having to unload it!

RB
Old May 16th, 2004, 03:20 PM   #7
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Bravo : These are the carts we have been using for the last 15 years.
RB -->>>

Now, THAT is cool. Folks like Ken and I who have "matured beyond heavy schlepping," could use these. :)

I like your setups, John and Keith--except that I wouldn't be able to lift the things in and out of my rig! You guys obviously still qualify as kids. ;)

Until we get some TX1's out here in the West (I've wanted one for years--like I could afford it), this cart will do nicely. Thanks, Rick!
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #8
Major Player

One word - Magliner-
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #9
Major Player

I typed in Google search "collapsible carts" and there are about 8 hundred gazillion links and articles.

; )

p.s. and im 34.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Check this out Lorinda.

This is a picture of my Ferno in the van.

http://www.rbravo.com/images/Interio...t%20resize.JPG

In this shot it is only holding my XL-1s support bag, but there are plates mounted on the cart that will securely transport various cameras, including a BetaCam.

It also locks securely to the floor of the van so that it does not fly around while driving.

RB
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #11
Wrangler

Rick,

You read my mind!

I can secure the cart to the floor of my SUV so it doesn't roll. (You're the only one who could get away with driving that would make it "fly around." :)

I'm assuming you put the plates on the cart yourself. I hate to impose, but if you have some time, could you post a picture of that, as well? The best way to keep two cameras from sliding off the cart was my next question, and plates rather than straps sounds good to me. As for the photo request, it's not a big deal; however, what seems so elementary to guys usually ends up being major brain work for me. But don't worry about it if you're at all busy.

Thanks!

Lorinda

p.s. to young John Hudson: Boring Google search? Nah. I wanted to read what the dv folks are doing. (Thanks, Guys. :)
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #12
Major Player

Done!

Lorinda,

I took a few photos this morning that will illustrate what you want to know.

I posted them a little earlier as I have to work the Miami HEAT / Pacers playoff game tonight.

Go to www.rbravo.com and scroll to the bottom left. Click on the red Bat with your name on it.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

RB
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #13
Major Player

Youre correct Lorinda!

It was boring!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #14
Wrangler

Good heavens, Rick, you've had quite a career already!! I've read about the work you did in film, esp. Miami Vice, but seeing it in pictures really made it exciting. Obviously, you all worked hard, but it looks like you also had an absolute blast. I'm sure, too, that you're glad you had the opportunity to work with your dad. I watched Vice all the time and marveled at the camera work. You and your dad made a great team. (Editing was good, too. :)

Back to the topic, I had no idea you were talking about quick release plates!! What a neat setup! (We won't discuss what I was picturing, ok?)

The photos were perfect, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to help. This will make life much easier, though it will take me some time to afford it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go back to your Web site and browse awhile...

Thanks again! Hope I can return the favor someday. (hey, you never know:)

Lorinda
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:22 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks for the kind words!

I just got back from working the HEAT's last playoff game of the year...they lost by 3 points...damn!

Anyway, glad to be of service. If you need anything else, the link on my website will work for email.

Take care, RB.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media