9/11 & The Day After Tomorrow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 4th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

9/11 & The Day After Tomorrow

I just went to see "The day after Tomorrow" last night and thought the effects were pretty good actually the story was okay.

What overshadowed the film for me was the images of LA buidlings being devastated and the images of people fleeing the streets of Manhatten pursued by a tidal wave.

These scenes both leave a lump in my throat as they remind me somewhat subliminally, of the horrific terrosist attacks of 9/11.

I watched the attacks live on TV from my living room in Melbourne Australia. The months after 9/11, it was the NO1 news story for many months.

As upsetting and heartwrenching as it was at the time, stangely, its only now I find myself in a deep sadness for the people of New York and the world who lost people on that terrible day.

The shots in the day after Tomorro in NY were quite literally chilling but the fact there are no twin towers there, made me personally feel a lot colder.

And although the film is about a natural disaster I still found it strange (not a bad thing) that they made a film about anything to do with new york having a disaster.

I would like to Point out that Spike Lee's "The 25th Hour" is a fantastic film and deals bravely with the devastation of 9/11.

I would be interested in anybodys feeliing about The Day after 2moro, andwhat they thought.
Brendan Sundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #2
Wrangler

Well I have not yet seen the film, but it is being criticized by Republicans as having a Democrat agenda and making a thinly veiled attack on the Bush administration. Evidently the character of the Vice President strongly resembles Dick Cheney and his failure to heed warnings about the environment are a plot factor. Yesterday there was an opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal that cited this film as an example of how Democrats are just complaining about things instead of doing anything constructive.

Like I said, I haven't seen it yet, and am not going to take sides in the controversy, but just thought I would mention that the film is already being viewed as a political statement here in the US...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

To be fair, it is also being criticized for distorting science (as if you needed to know that from watching the trailers :)
Old June 5th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Well after all, it's an action movie. Therefore by default it needs no grounding in reality whatsoever.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #5
Major Player

which goes to show how pathetic political discourse is in the US... turning a Roland Emmerich blockbuster (not to mention Passion) into political hash is just lame. I am going to see it soon but as far as a Cheney comparison... white puffy bald... hmmm. I'd tend to think it's a bad metaphor to politicize global warming (if that's thee gripe) isn't likely to hit in that way- anti-climactic (climatic) but isn't that something all americans care about? Isn't religion something Democrats and Republicans both lay claim to? moveon.org, Gore... etc. want to leverage anything they can to bring light to the fact that Bush has done things

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=000131;p=1

contrary to this site...?

corporate environmental credits are a bad idea?
Who knows... what it has to do with a movie is beyond me. We're an easily led society - that I think has been proven all too often all too recently.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media