DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Canon's business model (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/27819-canons-business-model.html)

Don Parrish June 20th, 2004 06:16 AM

I am going to take a beating for this post

I sometimes write from the heart. I believe this email that I sent to Canon was a neccessary evil, but realize that it will probably reach no one and be deleted moments after it is read by a rep, but I feel better.

"No question, but a good thrashing for you folks at Canon. The replacement for the XL1S video camera is overdue. Your secrecy and "shock" value for announcing new products are beginning to hurt those of us that are loyal to Canon. Those of us that use our cameras to make a living need good insight into our next investments. Your silence is beginning to injure our abilities to make the complicated estimates on our future purchases and needs as the television industry is wedged in between SD and HD. The GL2's resolution as well as most consumer jiggly wiggly cameras are beginning to out resolve the XL1S. It is time for Canon to re-think it secrecy when it comes to professional use cameras. We need to know something or it is simply time to look elsewhere. Whatever service rep reads this please pass it up your chain of command!!"

Ok folks, you may commence the beating.

Peter Jefferson June 20th, 2004 08:22 AM

i think thats a totally legitimate statement

K. Forman June 20th, 2004 08:34 AM

I agree... If they don't confirm something soon, Panasonic will likely get my money, right before Canon can release their top secret replacement.

Dave Perry June 20th, 2004 08:46 AM

Don,

I would suggest snail mail for that message, possibly even find out the name of someone at Canon and send it registered so they have to read it.

E-mail is simply too easy to ignore.

Josh Brusin June 20th, 2004 08:55 AM

Though I'M happy with my XL1 mini35 solution I get CLIENTS that bring up the DVX or HD ALL-THE-TIME.....
To the average joe the XL1 is still premium but to those in-the-know (especially broadcast producers) it's old _ _ _ _. old news... there, old news.
I have to make sure they see the rig or some footage before I answer what I'm shooting to. (I have taken to saying a "Custom rig" - which it is) taking Canon out of the equation mentally and very likely, very soon, physically as well.

My business is marketing. I can vouch for those that say - Impressions and Perceptions outway the facts.

Luis Caffesse June 20th, 2004 09:33 AM

While I agree with most of the above statements,
none of us should be surprised.

Canon has never come out with new models quickly, and they
have never leaked too much information before releasing a new
model. They have a rather steady history of keeping models
around for 3-4 years before updating or replacing them.
They don't do much, if any, premarketing of new models. They
don't show off prototypes or concepts.

So, according to their past behavior, from Canon's point of view
the replacement to the XL1s is not overdue, it will be right on
time. The XL1s will be 3 years old in July.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, but it's the reality of the
business model they follow. The only problem with that business
model is that technology does not evolve at a constant rate. But,
right or wrong, that is how they've always done it.

In any respect, you may be able to pat yourself on the back in
about a week and a half when the XL1s rebate expires. I don't
think they will be extending it again. Most signs are pointing to
July as the most likely month to hear an announcement about the
new XL camera.

The only bright side to Canon's business model is that as soon as
we hear an announcement, it won't be very long before the
camera is on the shelves. Unlike Sony, Panasonic, JVC, etc.

If that happens Don, you should tell everyone you know it was
because of the email you sent them.
:)

-Luis

PS.
"Impressions and Perceptions outway the facts"

That's very true Josh.
In fact, one of my business partners takes that a step further
and always reminds me by saying, "perception is reality."

Josh Allen June 20th, 2004 04:02 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : I agree... If they don't confirm something soon, Panasonic will likely get my money, right before Canon can release their top secret replacement. -->>>

Keith...you took the words right out of my mouth. For continuity and familiarity I would really like to stick with Canon, but they are making it difficult.