DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   FAHRENHEIT 9/11 - who has seen it? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/28182-fahrenheit-9-11-who-has-seen.html)

Christopher C. Murphy June 26th, 2004 09:55 AM

FAHRENHEIT 9/11 - who has seen it?

I saw this on opening night - powerful film that has the same "I didn't know that" as "Bowling for Columbine". It's got some amazing insights into what the heck really happened and is happening.

If you're wondering what this film is like - think "Bowling for Columbine" with the subject being 9/11 through today. It's got it all...and more.

Of course, it's subjective to the viewer whom might be swayed because of the powerful use of video/film. I will say this though - it's got less of Mike Moore than any of his previous works. He gathered TONS of public footage and got lots of sound bites. The people who talk in this film said a lot of this publicly. Therefore, you can pretty much say Moore is showing us a timeline of what really has happened up until now. It's scary and had me feeling pretty upset when I left the theater...just like "Bowling for Columbine" did. Overall, this film is definately worth seeing no matter what because it's a commentary that we don't hear or see in the media regarding what's happening in the world. If anything it's an opposing view of where the media has taken us for 4 years now.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions! I'm not going to mention specifics on the film just yet because it opened last night...I'll wait until people have had a chance to see it for themselves. Please do go see it! Mike Moore almost didn't get distribution for this film because Freedom of Speech isn't what it used to be...so, support this film just because it's a film that almost didn't get out there! He has a right to distribute his film and message like anyone else.

God Bless America!

Murph

Chris Hurd June 28th, 2004 02:07 PM

Unfortunately we will not hear people's opinions about this film. Why? Because every time Michael Moore is discussed on this board, it brings out the worst in people. The discussion inevitably turns into a shoving match between those members who support Moore's message and those who oppose it.

Such polarization accomplishes only one thing: it drives a wedge into our community, splitting it apart. It really is best if we don't know each other's political leanings; if we stick to only technical discussions, then we can stay friends.

I would much rather take the "censorship" rap and suffer the associated consequences of locking this thread, than watch community members argue pointlessly with each other over sensitive political issues.

The most radical right-winger is not going to change the mind of the staunchest liberal, and vice versa. It does not matter how much you support Michael Moore or how much you hate him... there is always someone from the opposing viewpoint who feels stronger about it than you do. Arguing about Michael Moore on this message board will not convert anyone over to your side, or change anyone's opinion. It'll simply escalate hurtful feelings to the point of causing people to leave this community. Just like the topics of sex and religion, politics is a deeply personal thing which always rubs some people the wrong way, no matter how well-intended the initial post is. It's just like throwing a match on gasoline.
  • Discussing Michael Moore here always invokes political debate.
  • Because it polarizes our community, political debate is strictly verboten on DV Info Net.
  • Therefore, if you want to discuss Michael Moore, you'll just have to go elsewhere.

Sorry it has to be that way, folks... since our board history has proven over and over again that some of our most professional and respected members always seem to tumble irresistibly into this emotional trap, I have no real choice but to remove the trap.

This discussion is closed. All responses, including several shameless political leanings, have been removed (but post counts not affected). Please don't put me in this awkward position again. Thanks,