DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Sony's Spiderman 2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/28319-sonys-spiderman-2-a.html)

K. Forman July 1st, 2004 05:43 AM

Sony's Spiderman 2

I just saw Spiderman 2 last night, and was blown away. Fantastic movie that will keep you hanging on.

Anyways, as I was watching the credits, something occured to me... Sony owns the Spiderman franchise. Sony also owns Vegas Video, having bought it from Sonic Foundry last year.

My question is.... Would they edit Spiderman using Vegas?

Rob Lohman July 1st, 2004 06:39 AM

That is highly unlikely since almost all film editors use Avid or
physically cut with the film. It would've been a nice publicity
stund though! In theory it would be possible with low resolution
proxies and an EDL export.

K. Forman July 1st, 2004 06:45 AM

It would really have been too funny, if they had cut it with Premiere :)

Christopher C. Murphy July 1st, 2004 02:15 PM

Has anything professional ever been edited with Premiere? I don't mean television either...I mean theatrical film.

I switched to Mac and bought FCP because it's the cheapest way to edit with a "Pro" system. I saw "Cold Mountain" in the theater and was TOTALLY sold on FCP after that...and I already owned it. The film just made it solidified in my mind...great film and great editing.

Murph

Josh Brusin July 1st, 2004 05:37 PM

not to mention that Cold Mountain was actually pieced together on a group of powerbooks.. according to that article...

Dylan Couper July 1st, 2004 06:20 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy :
I switched to Mac and bought FCP because it's the cheapest way to edit with a "Pro" system. I saw "Cold Mountain" in the theater and was TOTALLY sold on FCP after that...and I already owned it. The film just made it solidified in my mind...great film and great editing.
-->>>

Sorry Murph, I've got to bust yer tomata on this one...

What does FCP have to do with the great editing of the film?

Glenn Gipson July 3rd, 2004 08:59 AM

>>My question is.... Would they edit Spiderman using Vegas?<<

With their budget…probably not. And if they did, you would be seeing “Vegas Video edits Spider Man 2” ads all over the place. Much like Apple did with Cold Mountain.

As for the film...The movie was way too melodramatic for me. I didn’t care about Peter Parker’s love interest, nor did I care that he was torn between revealing himself to his loved ones, or keeping his identity a secret. The story dragged big time. And a lot of the CGI looked like it belonged in a Toy Story. Dr. Octopus was cool though, that was about all I enjoyed from the film. It’s baffling to me why so many people are crazy about this cliched and melodramatic movie. I guess I’m just not a Spider Man fan. I enjoyed Hell Boy and X-Men 2 far more then this movie.

Keith Loh July 3rd, 2004 09:26 AM

I couldn't disagree more. Even on a technical aspect I thought this movie went along at a very fast clip, every scene had a mark. No moment was really wasted. I guess if you aren't hit by the emotional aspect of Peter Parker's story, you might be bored by the romance and by Parker's dilemma. I thought it was all good.

K. Forman July 3rd, 2004 09:32 AM

Glen- The whole story is ripped straight from the pages of Spiderman comics. The fact that his life is always in turmoil is what makes him more human.

Of course, being a fan of the comics in my youth, I was a little dissapointed with some of the changes they made. But, I got over most of them. And having been a fan, I spent a lot of time looking at the soon to be villains in Parker's life, trying to figure out which would be in the next movie. Nice teasing on their part.

Michael Wisniewski July 3rd, 2004 10:03 AM

Re: Sony's Spiderman 2

Quote:

My question is.... Would they edit Spiderman using Vegas?
It might be unlikely, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used it somewhere. They usually don't promote what tools they used on a movie.

Douglas Spotted Eagle has done tons of projects and I'm sure Vegas and Acid got used in there somewhere, but I've never seen them advertise it. During the free Sony seminar, DSE mentioned that he'd used Acid for the Finding Nemo soundtrack.

Aaron Koolen July 3rd, 2004 05:50 PM

Dylan, haven't you seen the "Edit my movie into something really cool" button in FCP?

Seriously though, the fact that they did cut it on FCP meant it's up for the job. I don't get the feeling Vegas would be.

Aaron

Richard Alvarez July 3rd, 2004 07:00 PM

I think you have to understand what is meant by the term "edit". It would be possible to "edit" a feature film on vegas or adobe for that matter... in offline resolution. Then you would have to conform it. Neither of these tools is especially adept at that. Some films that are edited on FCP are then "finished" on a high end Avid.

Dylan Couper July 4th, 2004 02:48 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Dylan, haven't you seen the "Edit my movie into something really cool" button in FCP?

Seriously though, the fact that they did cut it on FCP meant it's up for the job. I don't get the feeling Vegas would be.

Aaron -->>>

Darn, I should have bought a Mac...

My point is just that if it was a terrible movie, no one would care if it was edited on FCP. It had great editing because it was done by an experienced professional, not because it was done on FCP. The tool is irrelevant to the results. No one cares what brand of paintbrush Picasso painted with, except for the people that think buying a better paintbrush will make them better painters, while what they really need is skill.

Back to the regularly scheduled topic... Spiderham!

Keith Loh July 4th, 2004 03:49 PM

What software did you use Mr. Murch?

Agreed with Dylan.

I can see the cartoon now. Some kid walks up to Walter Murch and demands to know how he could have edited "Apocalypse Now" without FCP.

Patrick MCMurray July 5th, 2004 02:25 PM

anyone notice a little evil dead in spiderman?
im not kidding.... in the operating room, one of the surgeons
and the chainsaw?
I agree this one was alittle slow moving...
anyone thinking its about time for the simbiote?
didnt the john jameson character bring it back from space?