DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Blade Runner voted best Sci-Fi Film by Scientist (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/31029-blade-runner-voted-best-sci-fi-film-scientist.html)

Glenn Gipson August 26th, 2004 01:16 PM

Blade Runner voted best Sci-Fi Film by Scientist

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

Christopher C. Murphy August 26th, 2004 03:33 PM

If I could remember the "science" parts of the film I'd probably agree, but I can't. What are they referring to? I love the film...just don't remember to much actual science happeing.

Murph

Keith Loh August 26th, 2004 04:55 PM

More science philosophy. The nature of humanity in robots.

Jeff Patnaude August 27th, 2004 12:47 PM

there were plenty street-merchants with electron microscopes. Always thought that was cool. Syd Meade (spelled?) had an excellent vision of the future, as did Ridley. The weather, decay, hight tech with a crumbling foundation. One of my favorites.

Jeff P.

Glenn Gipson August 27th, 2004 04:03 PM

A little overlooked fact about Blade Runner is that the setting was suppose to be New York City, and not Los Angeles. The Los Angeles tittle was added at the last minute. Unfortunately, I don't have a link to this information, because I saw it in a documentary, but that is why the city looks like, well, New York City.

George Ellis August 27th, 2004 08:59 PM

Actually, the best science in a sci-fi movie that I remember was Silent Running with Bruce Dern. Explosions in space made no noise. Dark Star was up there too. Guess I just get annoyed by improper sound editing add-ins. ;)

George Ellis August 27th, 2004 09:05 PM

Oh, and Blade Runner is one of the many Phillip K Dick books adapted to movies. Minority Report and Total Recall are others. I was thinking Solent Green was too, but that was Harry Harrison (Make Room, Make Room.)

Boyd Ostroff August 27th, 2004 09:18 PM

A couple nights ago there was a show on PBS about production designers and they discussed Blade Runner with its designer. He said that after they began prep there was an actors strike in Hollywood so they shut everything down on the film for quite some time. While they were waiting for the strike to end they just kept working on the designs. The result was that they ended up doing a much more thorough job than they normally would for a movie, and this shows in the level of detail and amount of planning that went into the sets and effects.

Keith Loh August 27th, 2004 09:50 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by George Ellis : Oh, and Blade Runner is one of the many Phillip K Dick books adapted to movies. Minority Report and Total Recall are others. I was thinking Solent Green was too, but that was Harry Harrison (Make Room, Make Room.) -->>>

MINORITY REPORT
BLADE RUNNER
SCREAMERS
TOTAL RECALL
IMPOSTER
PAYCHECK

coming up

A SCANNER DARKLY

Also I would say that "2nd Variety", a Dick short story, also partly influenced the future war scenario in TERMINATOR (part of that tangled web).

A couple movies that didn't make that list that could have are:

GATTACA

and

THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN

Richard Alvarez August 27th, 2004 10:02 PM

Interesting back story on the TERMINATOR. A grip working on the set overheard Cameron mention he got the idea from an old Outer Limits episode.

Just so happens that episode, "THE SOLDIER" was written by Harlan Elison, perhaps the most litigious writer around. The grip was a buddy of his.

yep, he sued and won and undisclosed settlement.

I have a copy of "The Soldier" script I bought online. Pretty interesting.

Keith Loh August 27th, 2004 11:50 PM

A lot of that backstory is online. Ellison himself has written about it.

I do remember watching 'The Terminator' and remembering the resemblence to that episode of 'The Outer Limits'.