Not another Hurricane! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 3rd, 2004, 03:15 PM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jeff's referring to Montana's lack of a sales tax, not an income tax (which it has).

Basically, in Florida's case, various tourism taxes more than take up the slack for resident income taxes. But if the winds keep blowing down there, the tourists might become scarce. <g>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #17
MPS Digital Studios

I love Florida, but being right in target (well, maybe slightly south--I live about 8 - 10 miles west of West Palm Beach, about 14-16 miles west of the Atlantic) of Frances, I'm a little nervous.

I hope to keep posting, but if I can't, I'll post after the storm!

heath
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:10 AM   #18
Trustee

Being down by West Palm you should be mostly OK. It's a little north of you and just a hair south of me in Orlando that should mostly be worrying. Having just gone through Charley at over 100mph winds, getting through 60-70mph seems just like a windy breeze. OK, maybe a little more than that...

As I type this it looks like it's about 80-90miles east of you right now.

The real damage from Frances will be that the thing is moving so incredibly slowly. They say the eye is traveling somewhere between 6-9mph. This means it'll just be sitting and churning on Florida for over a day.

Mainly, Punta Gorda really lucked out - they were this close to getting hit again.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #19
Warden

Tampa (Hillsborough county) just now ordered evacuation of mobile homes, RV's and manufactured homes. They're calling for 12 to 20 inches of rain in the next 24 to 36 hours for us in Pinellas county.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I just made it down here from Arlington,via Atlanta, Tampa, Naples and Alligator alley. Drove around it, and into the rain bands. At least I'm with my wife and son. This thing is gonna be a real pain in the butt, moving so slow, and still scheduled to hit the panhandle/alabama/georgia area.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 05:22 AM   #21
RED Code Chef

Ken: that almost looks like the Holland curve. Although we probably
have a bit more rain here during the year?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #22
Regular Crew

The thing about these tropical storms/hurricanes is the waiting around and going stir crazy. You get so sick of watching the same reports and storm updates over and over but you keep finding yourself tuning in.

So to keep from totally losing my mind, I finished my dolly. Nothing spectactular but it was something to do. Playing with spaceships and the dolly was my therapy.

http://www.magoomedia.com/media/dolly2.wmv
(I was bored)
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #23
Major Player

Bad luck comes in threes!?

Just when you thought it was safe...here comes IVAN!
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:05 AM   #24
Major Player

LOL Jim

LOve the DOLLY update and report. Flash Fordon would be jealous!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #25
Trustee

Well, out of power again and now holing up at my folks' place in an area that seems to have power and internet.

The length of this storm has been ridiculous. It started here in Orlando some time on Saturday, the winds picked up in bursts, and then it kept on raining and then not, windy and then not, all the way until yesterday late afternoon when we had a reprieve, and then it started AGAIN with strong gusts up to 50mph - which is finally what knocked my power out late last night some time. It's now Monday morning, and the winds are still intermittent, and it's raining on and off as I type.

And next comes Ivan. This is out of control.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 09:03 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I've been occasionally streaming the storm to show the winds and all. Of course I'm bored out of my mind so that's why I'm doing this. The gusts come out of nowhere and then it's nice for awhile. Pretty boring actually.

If anyone's interested: tv.magoomedia.com
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #27
Warden

I've lost my cable connection (Time Warner/Brighthouse) so I'm connecting via my Sprint PCS phone. Today has been the worst for us in Dunedin, so far. I've got about 3 to 4 inches of rain at least. I drained my pool about 6 inches on Thursday and it's about full. I've lost some big limbs in my trees, but nothing too serious.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 6th, 2004, 03:05 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Gov Bush set up a fine Jar. Anyone who mentions Ivan at the command center has to pay 5 bucks. Hey, right now most of us will try just about anything. Besides....it's Texas' turn darnit.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #29
Warden

I lost power for 2 1/2 hours and just got both the power and electricity back on. I was lucky, last I heard there is something like 5 million households without electricity.

Old September 7th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #30
MPS Digital Studios

We lost power for 2 days, some people until Friday (like my in-laws, who live about 3 miles from us).

It was BAD where I live, in Wellington (about 10 miles from West Palm Beach), but not as bad as further east and also to the north. A bunch of trees came down out here, and we've been through many a storm and hurricane.

Irene, the "out of nowhere" hurricane on Oct. 15, 1999 brought tons of rain and floods, which Frances didn't out here in Wellington. This is worse than Charley, because so many homes and businesses were nailed (not as ravage as Charley) and this darn storm is working on the ENTIRE state!

Ivan...Ugh...

heath

ps-I'm okay and so is my condo!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media