Not another Hurricane! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 24th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #61
Trustee

I heard about those guys - it was called Dynamat or something. I've heard that they are going to soon attempt attacking a hurricane with their moisture reducing material. You're right though - I'm betting this will probably trigger something else. Probably a swirling mess of tornadoes where the whole pressure system gets altered a little too quickly? It'll be like that scene in Day After Tomorrow.

I read a while back about how, I think back in the 60s, they were thinking of nuking hurricanes to see if that has any affect. Luckily they decided not to, since the potential radioactive runoff would've proven pretty eco-destructive. Plus they were misunderestimating how powerful these things are. They say that a typical hurricane contains the energy of a several megaton nuke going off every 20 minutes. I think I read that on the noaa.gov site. The hurricane would just absorb it without effort.

Now if only there was a way to capture and store some of that energy. Maybe we'd be a little less dependent on oil.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #62
Wrangler

I was already wondering if they couldn't drop one or more MOAB bombs in the middle so as to disrupt it. However, it would probably just re-form if you can't alter the conditions that sustain it in the first place. It might require a combination of several things to have any chance.

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #63
Major Player

Snake Oil Sales!

Imran is right on the money, considering that even a small hurricane harnesses the energy of thousands of nuclear bombs, dropping one into, in front of or around the storm would be equivalent to...let's see...

PISSING INTO A HURRICANE!

No matter how you look at it Mother Nature has some incredibly beautiful attributes, but...she can also be one 'ornery bitch!

The only way to stop these storms is to take away their fuel, so, I propose we drain the Atlantic Ocean! Hah!

That will also make fishing alot easier!

:)

RB
Old September 24th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #64
Trustee

Plus we may also finally find Atlantis!
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #65
MPS Digital Studios

We'll BE Atlantis!

hwm
Old September 25th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #66
Inner Circle

Palm Beach county is gonna get hit pretty hard this time. Up to CAT 3 and strengthening. Good luck all.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #67
MPS Digital Studios

Ugh, ugh and triple ugh.

I'm FED UP with these storms! Where's the Bermuda High when we need it?!

heath

ps-It's gonna hit two counties up from Palm Beach County, but it's gonna stink.
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #68
Capt. Quirk

I'm waiting for it... I stocked up on supplies earlier. The city stopped all alcohol sales around 1:00 today, so I had to go across the city line to finish up ;)
Old September 25th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #69
Warden

What's funny (odd) is we've had so many watches this year, there wasn't a rush at the stores for last minute supplies. Everyone is stocked full from the last three hurricanes. I think I have more water stock piled in the house than in my pool.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 11:13 AM   #70
Capt. Quirk

Well... We lost power about 6:00 last night, cable went shortly after. Since I still had the generator ready from Francis, I fired up the PC to give one last shout- and the internet died. Funny thing is, that was the last thing to come back last time, but it's back now. Now, if I could get cable going... ;)

Oh... we also lost the rest of the fence, more shingles and the patch I did, more ceiling dropped in the garage, and we have running water inside.

How's everyone else?
Old September 26th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #71
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Glad to hear you're okay, Keith. I'm over here in the Pensacola area, wondering if it's going to head our way, or go up or East as they're saying.
Old September 26th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #72
Capt. Quirk

Things have gotten worse, I'm running out of mixer! For the love of God, somebody send Coke!

I think you'll be ok John, we wore it out. You'll probably just have nasty rain, if it should get to you. Either way, I hope things run smooth for you.
Old September 26th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #73
Warden

Our lights are flickering and I've lost cable, but I think you got the worst of it last night and wore it out. If you were drinking Scotch, I'd send you some water.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #74
Capt. Quirk

*shudder* Ewww, Scotch! hehe... Thanks for the offer Jeff, but we have plenty of bottled water, and running water too. It's running down the walls, the ceiling fans, the vents...
Old September 26th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #75
Warden

Anything to help out a friend. But if you decide you need some water, you just let me know.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media