DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Editing munchies (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/31346-editing-munchies.html)

Dylan Couper September 3rd, 2004 12:49 AM

Editing munchies

Yeah, this is a thread about food.

Seriously.

When I'm editing, I get the munchies non-stop. Just wondering if anyone else is like this, and more importantly, what are your top food choices?
Currently, I'm trying to tone up a bit, so I've been sticking to fruit, vegetable sticks (carrots, celery) and dried pumpkin seeds (although I've been known to put back a box of Slim Jims in an afternoon.)

Anyone have any other healthy suggestions?

Federico Dib September 3rd, 2004 04:42 AM

1.- Sunflower seeds.

Itīs not that I get the munchies, but I get this junkie need to smoke when in front of a PC, and these are pretty good to keep that urge down.

There is a side effect though, they keep my hands busy for too long.

2.- Then I drink a LOT of water.

3.- And then sometimes long stripes of red liquorish.

P.S. I wish they sold Slim Jims around here... those I miss a lot.

Christopher C. Murphy September 3rd, 2004 04:56 AM

Pumpkin seeds and gum!

Robert Knecht Schmidt September 3rd, 2004 05:03 AM

Really chocolately stuff, all the time.

Christopher C. Murphy September 3rd, 2004 05:21 AM

Corona for hot days that never end.

Jimmy McKenzie September 3rd, 2004 06:38 AM

Bon bons, gummie bears, and Canada's number one snack food: The potato chip.

You are what you eat. And so much so that one guy decided that the best way to edit and get in shape is to not sit. You might want to try it. Get yourself a nice old drafting board, mount your 2 monitors up high and dance your ass off to the beat matched timeline markers.

I suppose you could cheat by using a bar stool if you get too tired. But then you might reach for a cold bee.......

Dylan Couper September 3rd, 2004 11:06 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jimmy McKenzie : Bon bons, gummie bears, and Canada's number one snack food: The potato chip.

You are what you eat. -->>>

I got some bad news for you buddy.... :)

Actually, I like the idea of standing up and editing, I wonder how much extra calories standing burns over sitting.
Then again, you could mount your monitors on the front of an excercise bike, and log some miles while you logges some footage....

Dustin Waits September 3rd, 2004 12:41 PM

Guinness. Lots of Guinness. Oh and Cheez-it crackers too.

Imran Zaidi September 3rd, 2004 02:45 PM

Animal crackers! You can't eat just one, they're low in fat and calories, and they're just plain fun to eat.

I like to bite the legs off them first. And if the editing's going poorly, the head comes off first.

Michael Wisniewski September 3rd, 2004 02:56 PM

The first accessory I got for my NLE was a small fridge. Then it was off to CostCo to load up. Nothing like a little Ben & Jerry's handy to get the creative juices flowing.

Well that and few shots of Tequila and/or Sake ...

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 3rd, 2004 02:59 PM

Yeah a little fridge to keep the beers cold. I am better on cutting to the music after a couple of bottles.

Michael Wisniewski September 3rd, 2004 03:06 PM

Oh wait you wanted healthy suggestions.

My favorites on the healthy side are grapes and bananas. Grapes cuz you can keep picking at them, and bananas when you need more substance.

For drinks, I do believe Sake is healthier than Tequila, but I'll have to check.

Jimmy McKenzie September 3rd, 2004 09:14 PM

Guiness. Perfect.

It's funny. As much as I enjoy the brew, I find myself making excuses not to indulge when I am working a corporate retreat or event when the suds are flowing heavily. I explain that a few beers do help the handheld shots by buffering camera movement but that the unwanted focus blur is just not worth the trade-off.

In the edit bay, Irish beers rock.

Aaron Koolen September 3rd, 2004 09:35 PM

Walter Murch stands IIRC and the picture I saw of him, he was a skinny bugger.

What do I eat? Having a bad day where I have to edit but don't want to - Jack Daniels (Obviously not paying gigs here ;) )

But usually I forget to eat - not good - then if I find that I'm really hungry - toast!

Aaron

Dylan Couper September 4th, 2004 12:26 AM

I think what we are DRINKING while editing is a much different subject than eating. I'll save that one for another day. :)