DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   InSaNe Render Times (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/316753-insane-render-times.html)

Nate Haustein August 24th, 2009 11:14 AM

InSaNe Render Times

2 Attachment(s)
It seems as if Final Cut is felling a little overworked. This is a screenshot of the audio render time I got last week. Even better is the pic my friend sent me today. (pic 2) Alright FCP, see you Monday!

Shaun Roemich August 24th, 2009 12:41 PM

I think it's time to replace the hamster...

Ethan Cooper August 25th, 2009 07:37 AM

The "about 8 weeks" made me laugh. I've seen some long render times in my day but nothing even remotely close to that. I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can come back to it later when I need to feel better about render times.

Looking at your timeline, it looks like the video is about an hour and a half long. I'm sitting here trying to figure out why the 4 day render time... do you have some type of crazy effects on it or something?

I really really wish that apple would allow me to render with all the cores I paid for. You can do it with Compressor, why not FCP?

Mathieu Ghekiere August 26th, 2009 11:37 AM

Can't FCS 3 export via Compressor?

I always got trouble when exporting via Compressor in FCS 2, but maybe this has been better in FCS 3 (I have it, but haven't tried it yet).

Great pictures, by the way. 8 weeks. Funny as hell.

Ethan Cooper August 26th, 2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 1272541)
Can't FCS 3 export via Compressor?

I always got trouble when exporting via Compressor in FCS 2, but maybe this has been better in FCS 3 (I have it, but haven't tried it yet).

Great pictures, by the way. 8 weeks. Funny as hell.

**EDIT** I was wrong, let me revise this**

I was talking about renders in FCP not using all my cores, not encoding using Compressor.

I always prefer running Compressor separate from FCP so I still have the option to edit while encoding. Also, I could be mistaken but my unscientific opinion is that compressor seemed to me to encode faster when working off a single quicktime rather than from the timeline.

I haven't used FCS3 yet so I can't speak for any improvements there.

Mathieu Ghekiere August 30th, 2009 09:56 AM

Yeah, in FCS 2 I always got Compressor to crash if I tried to export via Compressor.

That being said, I expect some improvement in FCS 3, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Aaron Fowler August 30th, 2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 1272657)
I always prefer running Compressor separate from FCP so I still have the option to edit while encoding. Also, I could be mistaken but my unscientific opinion is that compressor seemed to me to encode faster when working off a single quicktime rather than from the timeline.

I do believe that you are right Ethan. I ran a project though both workflows (in FCS2) you described and running compressor separately is definitely quicker. From memory it was twice as fast (actual results may vary). Plus you get that bonus of still being able edit while you're compressing.

In compressor I had a render time of 28 hours... I should have taken a screenshot. I set everything to "Best settings" when i was downconverting. I canceled the render and changed one of the settings to "Better"... It happened a lot quicker.