DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Horror tales from the station I'll simply call "Hell." (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/31811-horror-tales-station-ill-simply-call-hell.html)

Josh Bass September 12th, 2004 01:41 PM

Horror tales from the station I'll simply call "Hell."

Hi. In addition to being a videgrapher, filmmaker, and all around handsome man, I also work as a master controller part time at a local station. I'll simply call it "Hell," for anonymity purposes.

Anyway, today, we received a master of a commercial that needed to be dubbed. Long story short, I go to dub it, and as it's playing, I notice the word "unrendered" pop up, and then disappear. I says to myself, I says, "surely I did not just see that." So I check the tape, and yes, for a half a second, the video cuts out completely, and the screen simply displays the word "unrendered". This is on a master tape of a commercial. I was flabberghasted, or flabber-Bass-ted, rather. The spectacular incompetence I deal at this place on a regular basis is unbelievable.

So, let's hear your horror stories of spectacular incompetence, whatever you do, wherever you may be.

Brack Craver September 12th, 2004 10:14 PM

I once worked at a place where a guy who was fired drove his Volvo through the buildings plate glass window and began destroying all the computers with an ice pick. He then went into the documentation room with a can of gasoline and you guessed it....Well, the cops eventually showed up and last I heard he was spending some time in a mental institution. This was a long time ago so hopefully he's out by now. Actually, I kind of supported what the guy did. That place sucked big time. Edited to say I just saw where you said you wanted tales of incompetence, not insanity. Still, it's a pretty good story.

Josh Bass September 12th, 2004 10:20 PM

What type of business?

I don't think the world would lose anything if the same thing happened to my station.

Brack Craver September 12th, 2004 10:38 PM

They refurbished electronic stuff. "I don't think the world would lose anything if the same thing happened to my station." You don't drive a Volvo by chance? :-)

Josh Bass September 12th, 2004 11:42 PM

No. . .Corolla. I'm not keen on jail/institution time. Maybe God'll take care of it after I leave.

Heath McKnight September 13th, 2004 08:38 AM

Josh,

I like how your sig includes "camera" makes it better. heh heh heh...

Guys, if I've learned anything after working in local TV news for many years, it's to expect less than you usually expect. Sure, there are some good talents at a TV station, but they tend to go to bigger markets, and even to the network level.

I don't think I'll ever work in TV news again...

One little story, as we were listening to the radio during Frances, my old TV station lost a bunch of poorly designed metal plates on top of their "Studio B." I understand one flew behind the Chief Meteorologist as he did a live shot outside. Within minutes, Studio B began flooding and they sustained water damage in their walls and floors (and computers, etc.) on the second floor, Studio B control, some of Studio A control (where the news is run) and more. I understand the GM had 90 seconds to decide if they would stick it out as Studio A control began slightly leaking. He made the right move to stay, because many listening (or, those lucky enough to not lose their power, watching) depended on that wall-to-wall newscast as Frances slowly moved through in a 6 hour period, very long for a hurricane.

Hearing the other meteorologist say the building (only 3.5 years old) could withstand a category 5 hurricane and was severely leaking in a cat 2 storm (as he admitted on the air), well, I felt bad for them. I remember the same "other meteorologist" telling our viewing audience in March 2001 that our new building could withstand a cat 5 storm. Even if it leaked during a little rainstorm (through some first floor windows that stretched to the ground, where the flooding happened).

I understand the owners of the station had a plan in case any of their stations' buildings sustained damage, and things are getting fixed. And I hear they will sue the company that built the new station.

heath

Josh Bass September 13th, 2004 01:14 PM

When I said "local station," I mean local as in "in Houston, Texas 5th (or is it 4th? I don't have a great deal of pride in it) largest city in the US, a number 11 market (I think. . .don't even know what that means)" So yes, I do expect better. I used to work at our UPN affiliate, and I thought they were backwards and behind the times. Compared to where I am now, UPN was super duper pooper scooper advanced.

Richard Alvarez September 13th, 2004 02:21 PM

Josh,

I started out as a cameraman at Channel 39 KHTV in Houston, way back in the stone ages. Lots of funny stories.

Houston is the fourth largest city in America. New Yawk, Ellay, Shicargo, then Youston.

Left last month, now in San Mateo... just south of San Francisco. I really really love the weather here.

Heath McKnight September 13th, 2004 09:38 PM

I worked at a #39 station. The #80s and below are BAD!

heath

Josh Bass September 13th, 2004 10:25 PM

Do tell. . .

Heath McKnight September 13th, 2004 10:44 PM

My friend works multiple jobs, from photog during the week, to assignment desk on weekends 7 am until 7 pm, then editor until 12 am...

hwm

Josh Bass September 13th, 2004 11:23 PM

Wow. . .I guess you beat me. Is that by choice? Or forced upon him?

Heath McKnight September 13th, 2004 11:30 PM

Probably both--that's what they asked for, and he's full time now because of it.

hwm

Josh Bass September 14th, 2004 12:28 PM

Well, kudos to him. I couldn't handle that. . .17-hour shift?

Gary Chavez September 14th, 2004 02:57 PM

Im guessing..

Channel 5 , wptv by chance Heath?