Nice party favors for the Oprah studio audience at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 13th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #1
Wrangler

Nice party favors for the Oprah studio audience

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html
Quote:
CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Oprah Winfrey celebrated the premiere of her 19th season by surprising each of her 276 audience members with a new car.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 05:42 AM   #2
Wrangler

Thats just completely mad...

So then Chris, to celebrate over 12000 members on this forum, are you going to send us all an XL2? :-)

I can only dream

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #3
Wrangler

Ed:

From what I'm reading around here lately, a number of members would likely throw the XL2 back in Chris' face since it doesn't say "HDV" on the side...

(not me, though!)
Old September 18th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #4
Wrangler

Thats fine.

For every one thrown back in chris' face he can send them to me and you. Are you with me Charles?

Back on subject...

I wonder what her motives were behind it? I guess partly publicity, but I also feel that she relly wants to help people.

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #5
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Smith : I wonder what her motives were behind it? I guess partly publicity, but I also feel that she relly wants to help people. -->>>

This morning I was listening to Bloomberg Radio (WBBN in NYC) and they discussed the car giveaway on their "Simply Put" program. Basically, it's an example of smart product placement by Pontiac. They gave away $7M worth of cars, but would have paid $25M for an equivalent amount of commercial time on the Oprah show. And that doesn't even take into account all the free publicity that the stunt generated.

The topic of discussion was product placement in movies and on TV, and they pointed out that we should expect to see a lot more gimmicks like this. By making the cars part of the show (I didn't see it myself, but they said the recipients were literally "hugging" them) they prevent people from "fast forwarding" through their "commercial."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media