"Mr. 3000" out in theatres--Q&A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 22nd, 2004, 01:08 AM   #1
Wrangler

"Mr. 3000" out in theatres--Q&A

Hi folks,

It's been quiet for me on the feature front for the last year or so; however, the last picture I operated has finally been released (we wrapped principal photography 14 months ago). It's "Mr. 3000", the Bernie Mac baseball movie in theatres now.

It's not necessarily a groundbreaking film visually, but it has some interesting moments. If anyone has any questions or thoughts on it, fire away.

(I operated the "A" camera and Steadicam, plus I stepped up to DP for six scenes of 1st unit additional photography and reshoots)
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

As soon as I get to the theatre to see it I am sure I will have plenty. Always great to have a pro around willing to help out those who need it most!
Jonathan
Jonathan Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I saw from promotional clips that there are batter and catcher POV shots--and it looks like a fastball hurtles right at the camera.

'Zat so? Was that the least bit intimidating to operate?

Michael
Old September 24th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #4
Wrangler

Yeah, I actually couldn't really do it....!

There wasn't any operating to speak of in those shots, we just lined it up and positioned a sheet of plywood with a plexy window for the lens in front of the camera. I tried to keep my eyepiece in the camera for a few runs but it honestly was anti-evolutionary and there wasn't much for me to look at anyway, so I closed the eyepiece and joined the crowd at video village as they watched take after take.

There's a really cool variation on this which looks like CGI, with the ball leisurely making its way to the plate. We actually shot this with a real ball at 2000 fps against green screen on stage with a staggering amount of light.
Old September 24th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #5
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : We actually shot this with a real ball at 2000 fps against green screen on stage with a staggering amount of light. -->>>

Hi Charles,

I was already planning to go see that movie. Will definitely go now since you had a hand in it.

On a side note, I quoted you above because I have a habit called golf. A couple of the higher end mfgrs. have a device called 'launch monitor' which is shot in the same way you describe the baseball shot. It allows them to customize your driver for the optimal 12 degree angle and 3500 rpm of the ball at impact. They also sometimes use a high speed camera on the PGA tour broadcasts where you can actually see the golf ball being compressed by the club head at impact. Makes for a great visual effect.

best regards,

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media