Sure wish I could make a trailer for this feature at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sure wish I could make a trailer for this feature

I just finished my first feature, and having never made a movie trailer before I keep making crap. It's wierd, it's like i don't know what i'm doing. Here's my first try at it:

http://www.sweetserver.net/users/supafraud/teaser1.mov

Arrrg! I need to watch more trailers i guess
Steven Andrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:18 AM   #2
Trustee

The first rule of trailers, cut hard and then go back and cut it harder ;)

The big observation of trailers, especially action trailers, is using clips only about 1 sec long (but you may want to shorten them).

Except where the movie is so bad that they have to show the only joke in the movie in an attempt to get you to think the whole thing is funny... ;)

Edit - If you want it to be fast, use something with 160+ beats per minute to sync to or at least listen to some heavy metal (BUT NOT THE BALLADS!) :D You have done that. On the first part, use bigger cross-fades to black to match and set that pace? On the wobbly clip about 3 in, use slo-mo to reduce the shake.

Linkafied
http://www.sweetserver.net/users/supafraud/teaser1.mov

mo edit - On the gun shot stuff, lose the bullet hole and big fade on the gun fire... That adds more mystery. Who was shot and why, see the movie

OK, last edit, really - watched 3rd time. Two guys in the beginning with closeups, slo mo both to lose the camera shake.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:58 PM   #3
Trustee

i'd like to throw this idea out @ya. i've never been a real fan of 'trailers' in general cause they always showed scenes from the movie therefore 'ruins' the movie. unless it is for a re-release like star wars i see no reasons for a trailer in the classic sense of the word. what i really would like to see more are 3-5 "short movies" shot in the world of your film. an example is for citizen kane the trailer for it was simply the camera interviewing the cast ad-libbing and advertising citizen kane. it was witty and interesting. just an idea for ya =). i know you may not try it as you've already your movie is "in the can" but just an idea.

cause it ends giving you the feel of the movie feature that you've shot. but doesn't give you ANY shot of the movie therefore doesn't give any of the movie away. another example is alfred hitchcock introducing his films as 'trailers'.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 03:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

good ideas, i especially like the slow mo idea
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Air China Pilot

Another thing that has been happening recently is that some films release the first two-three minutes of their film. If you are grabbed then you are likely to want to watch the rest of it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media