DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   I Need Help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/32452-i-need-help.html)

Mike Berlucchi September 24th, 2004 05:47 AM

I Need Help

i need a way to convince my parents to buy me the xl2 for my graduation present. this is all i want to do with my life is become a movie maker and it sucks cause my parents dont support it to much so if anyone has any good selling points or ways to convince them it would be greatly apreciated. thanks.

Jeff Donald September 24th, 2004 06:13 AM

Are you graduating from HS or college?

Mike Berlucchi September 24th, 2004 06:19 AM

im graduating from hs i just need some things to really get em to think about it.

Rob Lohman September 24th, 2004 08:18 AM

$5000 might be a bit much. Why not go for something a bit more
reachable in terms of money? Movie making is not about the
camera but what you can do with the resources you have and
the way you can tell a hopefully interesting story.

You can get second hand XL1S or DVX100a for a much lower
price with almost equal picture quality. Don't get hung on the
latest equipment that is out.

The GL2 is an excellent camera as well and is even cheaper.
Personally I would rather go for that since it is much cheaper
and can deliver almost the same picture as the XL1S.

Why would you need a XL1S or XL2? I doubt you will have the
money to buy extra lenses etc. to warrant such a camera and
I doubt 16x9 is that important to you. The only thing I can think
of is 24p, but a good movie should be able to work in 30p or
24p (in my opinion). The frame (semi progressive) mode on both
the XL1S and GL2 are very good as well!

Good luck!

Michael Wisniewski September 24th, 2004 09:03 AM

My movie making partner works for a very rich couple who love her to death. She casually mentioned that she needed to get a new computer so that she could help edit our movies and to show their appreciation, the couple bought her a brand new 17 inch G4 laptop.

The main arguments they gave: They wanted to support the arts and it was also a tax write off.

You might also make a show of good faith, by getting your parents to match every dollar you earn. Maybe they could pay for half?

Jim Giberti September 24th, 2004 10:10 AM

<<i need a way to convince my parents to buy me the xl2 for my graduation present. this is all i want to do with my life is become a movie maker and it sucks cause my parents dont support it to much so if anyone has any good selling points or ways to convince them it would be greatly apreciated. thanks.>>

My parents wouldn't even buy me a bicycle, but I'll give it a shot: suggest that you'll take care of them well in their retirement and never let them go to a nursing home.

Mike Berlucchi September 24th, 2004 10:22 AM

we have the money no problem they just think its a toy but thanks guys ill try your ideas out

Dylan Couper September 24th, 2004 10:35 AM

When I graduated from highschool I got a slap on the back and a "when are you moving out?" and had to work a crappy joe job for two months just to afford a second hand beaten up, single chip hi-8 camera of my own.

Get a job and buy your own camera. It'll actually make you appreaciate it, instead of getting it handed to you by daddy.

Greg Boston September 24th, 2004 11:59 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with your advice Dylan. My parents couldn't buy much for me. They said if I wanted it (car, guitars, etc) that I had to earn the money and buy it myself. And you're right in that I take VERY GOOD CARE of my equipment because it comes out of my own pocket.

Mike B,

You should really get a job, save your money and buy a camera. Maybe your parents can help out, but you should not expect them to buy it for you.

=gb=

Federico Dib September 24th, 2004 12:07 PM

I agree with Rob, get a GL2 or something less expensive, rent or borrow...

Then go out and make some movies...
Then show them to your parents...
If they are any good (the movies), your folks will know you are not playing around with a "toy".. then you can ask for the BIG ONE...

Unless you have allready shot something cool.. then that should be a good argument.

Also if you show interest in studying something related to filmmaking they might take it more seriously...

If nothing works, then go out and do as most of us... work, work, keep working, save your money, and buy whatever you can..

I sure wish my dad could have givven me something like this...
But donīt worry if you donīt get it right away, it will only hold you back a couple of years...

Spend those years learning, so when you have the BIG TOY you can make the most of out of it.

Mike Berlucchi September 24th, 2004 07:05 PM

i do have a job and i think i might just save up but it will take me a while. But i guess ill just save money cause i think im goin to columbia which is super expensive i guess.

Jared Thomas September 29th, 2004 11:30 PM

dude mike....i just graduated from high school like....december of '03....i graduated early because of home school stuff...but anyway....im gettin a xl1s tomarrow.....i bought it from a guy off this board....you should go check the classifieds and you could probably find somethin you want for cheap.

i worked forever to buy this camera....my parents pitchedin a grand and it still took me forever to buy this camera..it really will mean more to you if you work for it....

Mike Berlucchi September 30th, 2004 05:38 AM

hey jared thanks but hey i saw your sig emagdnim do you rollerblade cause that would be rad since i do to. but ya my parents said they would most likesly buy it for me if i didnt have a party or whatever. so im just savin for my computer. but ya jared you would be even rader than ever

Alfred Okocha September 30th, 2004 05:53 AM

??

Somebody must have changed the forum language. ;-)
I didn't understand a word.. rad..??

Jared Thomas October 3rd, 2004 11:26 PM

do i rollerblade?!?!?!?!.......DO I ROLLERBLADE?!?!?!.......the answer to that question would be hells yes i rollerblade.......message me sometime man......rjotoml (screen name)