Beware New email/eBay Scam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 16th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #1
Warden

Beware New eBay Scam

I just received a new email from "eBay" and it's a scam. The subject is question from eBay Member. The return path etc. shows the obvious scam. The email looks legit until you read it closely and see the spelling mistakes and other tell-tale signs.

Subject: Question from eBay Member
Date: October 16, 2004 4:17:06 PM EDT
To: jtdonald@mac.com
Return-Path: <2germaine@skim.com>
Received: from mac.com (smtpin22-en2 [10.13.11.252]) by ms13.mac.com (iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 Patch 2 (built Jul 14 2004)) with ESMTP id <0I5P002OD2U48J@ms13.mac.com> for jtdonald@mac.com; Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:42:04 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from Kitchener-HSE-ppp3564804.sympatico.ca (kitchener-hse-ppp3564804.sympatico.ca [65.93.100.177]) by mac.com (Xserve/smtpin22/MantshX 4.0) with SMTP id i9GKfvIH014259for <jtdonald@mac.com>; Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:42:01 -0700 (PDT)
Message-Id: <3c7d01c4b3bd$0710b930$879f54b9@skim.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0000_A0304F16.E901F8D7"; type="multipart/alternative"
X-Priority: 3
X-Msmail-Priority: Normal
Original-Recipient: rfc822;jtdonald@mac.com

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 04:08 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I wish you had phrased this a little different, and just called it a scam. I have noticed many people here ragging on ebay, and calling everything a scam. Truth is, ebay does everything it can to stop scams, and I have only had one bad experience with them.

This is a common scam, that has used everything from Microsoft to Banks, to try and get your info. Bottom line is, never click on links in emails, and always distrust unsolicited emails... but don't hate ebay!
Old October 17th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #3
Major Player

I see both sides to this. That being said? I wont buy from ebay. Too risky. Too many scams and I dont think ebay is REALLY doing all they can to prevent this. For those that buy and sell succesfully? Great! But Im not playing.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 05:16 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

John- If someone sent you an "official" looking email from DV Info , for example, with the intent to mine information or get your money, is that a DV Info scam? Is Chris Hurd a scumbag for wanting to screw you, because someone else used the DV Info name to dupe you?

Con artists will use whatever name they think you will believe.

To say you won't use ebay, because some lowlife used ebay's name to try and dupe Jeff out of info or money... that is pretty stupid. ebay had nothing to do with the scam. Like I said, they do what they can to prevent scams.
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : John- If someone sent you an "official" looking email from DV Info , for example, with the intent to mine information or get your money, is that a DV Info scam? Is Chris Hurd a scumbag for wanting to screw you, because someone else used the DV Info name to dupe you?

Con artists will use whatever name they think you will believe.

To say you won't use ebay, because some lowlife used ebay's name to try and dupe Jeff out of info or money... that is pretty stupid. ebay had nothing to do with the scam. Like I said, they do what they can to prevent scams. -->>>

Stupid? I think prudent is a better choice of words. If a DVinfo email came to me and I had questions I'd email Chris himself. It's not that some 'low life' has used ebays name to try and dupe its that it is a rampant problem with many lowlifes. Im sure they are doing "All" that they can in the area of scam-prevention.

As I stated, for those of you using it without incident, that is wonderful. There is really no need to go into meltdown because I will not. (Unless your getting a commission)

Capisca?
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #6
Warden

Keith, i edited the threads title. Do you think that better reflects the content?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:46 AM   #7
Capt. Quirk

All I was trying to say, is it is an individual trying to scam folks, not the site. Don't confuse the two.

And as you said, if you recieve a questionable email that appears to be legit, asking for info- check with the true source.

By the way Chris- Nothing slanderous was intended towards you or your site. It was just used as an example. I know you and your Wranglers do what you can.
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Just curious...

I believe what is under discussion here may be two different issues.

1-E-mail scams.

2-Personal Ebay opinions.

These two issues have been blended into "Ebay/E-mail scam".

No big deal, simply a point of order.

I do have one question. I have also received the Ebay scam e-mails and wondered how the scammers knew I was a registered Ebay member.

Do the scammers know (somehow) that I'm registered or are the e-mails sent to anyone?

Has anyone that is not registered with Ebay received the scam e-mails?

Just curious.

Thanks.
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #9
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : All I was trying to say, is it is an individual trying to scam folks, not the site. Don't confuse the two.

And as you said, if you recieve a questionable email that appears to be legit, asking for info- check with the true source.

By the way Chris- Nothing slanderous was intended towards you or your site. It was just used as an example. I know you and your Wranglers do what you can. -->>>

No confusion here.
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #10
Capt. Quirk

Rick- It is a shotgun approach. Ebay is huge, and has numerous members. Just like Microsoft has millions of users. So the scammers recieve their email addresses, and sends out the letter. Say 1 in 10 recipiants is an ebay member, and that one is gullible enough to blindly believe the email is legit. Bingo!

I have recieved similar letters, supposedly from Microsoft, Credit Card companies, etc. I have yet to recieve the ebay one.
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #11
Capt. Quirk

Jeff- A bit better ;)
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #12
Built the VanceCam

Random?

I get the ebay scam emails too. (Just got one this morning.) But I don't believe they are random. From other ebay "spoofs" I've received, it is clear that these guys are able to hack into ebay and get usernames and email addresses. I've sent dozens of emails to ebay about it, forwarding the spoofs and emails, and they just respond with a form email, but they've never taken any actions to prevent this, and it continues to get worse. I think ebay is just too big and busy to bother with it, and it would cost them too much to pursue it. If they lose a few members, no big deal. They just warn people to be wary of the scams, but lately some of them have gotten much better--no typos or grammatical errors--the only giveaway is the link address, which usually has "ebay" in it but is a redirected address. I still use ebay, but I don't think they are seriously addressing these issues.
Dan Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Don't sweat it, Keith --

<< Is Chris Hurd a scumbag for wanting to screw you >>

No. There are entirely different reasons for this.

;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #14
Capt. Quirk

You DO have a sense of humor! Wow! hehehe...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media