Lions Gate tests digital film distribution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 17th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #1
Wrangler

Lions Gate tests digital film distribution

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- In a first of its kind move, independent movie distributor Lions Gate Films, based in Vancouver, will make its first release of a movie, The Final Cut (this Friday, in the U.S.), on new digital systems in AMC theatres that offer a low-cost way to reach mass audiences.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rtainment/Film
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #2
Wrangler

Well, I watched "The Final Cut" at the AMC Burbank 16 today.

As I understand it, the system in use for projection was intended as a replacement for the slides that are traditionally shown while the audience is seating, and not designed for theatrical presentations. I noted that the image quality during the pre-show ads was lacking in clarity and had clearly visible scan lines, stair-stepping in the graphics etc. I was more than a little shocked when the feature began and had the same image quality (or lack thereof). It really was sub-standard in many ways, and was a continual distraction to me. We were sitting towards the middle of the theatre, incidentally.

I now read that this system delivers less-than 2K resolution, meaning that it is delivering barely an HD-level signal to a 40 foot screen. Whatever the case, it was pretty awful looking.
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:43 PM   #3
Trustee

oh my charles, are you serious? that's insane. that's just multiplex's way of saying, "yesh we're too cheap to shell out ANY sort of cash to upgrade our system". good thing i didn't go and sheck it out. man that sux. they should have done it like the DLP for episode ii attack of the clones. i mean a lot of cinemas already have those DLP front projectors. why not utilize that? i think they're just afraid to lay down the big pipes needed to digitally deliver content. they just went the cheap way using the slide-show crap to show movies thinking audiences won't notice? this is very disappointing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media