DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Who's trading up, and for what? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/33617-whos-trading-up-what.html)

K. Forman October 18th, 2004 10:58 AM

Who's trading up, and for what?

I have noticed a lot more cameras for sale recently. Coincidentally, the Canon XL2 is out at the same time, so one can assume, some of you are trading up.

My questions are- What are you selling, and what are you getting to replace it? Why that cam?

Myself? I'm keeping my trusty GL1, but looking to move up again. I had the XL1s, so the XL2 WAS at the top of my list... until the Sony FX1 came out. Tough call right now ;)

Heath McKnight October 20th, 2004 02:10 PM

I may nor may not hold onto my JVC HD10, because I barely use it anymore. I may sell it to a friend of mine. I will probably buy the pro FX1 from Sony, but more and more, I hire others to shoot and edit my non-film stuff.

heath

John Hudson October 21st, 2004 11:00 AM

I wouldnt trade up for anything thats on the market. Im keeping my DVX100.

K. Forman October 21st, 2004 11:48 AM

John- is that the 100, or 100A? What features make it a keeper to you, and what do you do with the cam?

Heath- What stuff are you doing besides film? Was it the HD that has you looking at the FX1, or something else?

John Hudson October 21st, 2004 02:00 PM

I purchased the DVX100 knowing that in about 5 months the A would come out. That decision was based on the ever popular "Somethign new is always coming out and you can wait it out forever" scenario. You know the type; agonize over what model and brand to get only to find out after you buy a new one is announced or you wait around forver as every 8 motnhs a new camcordr is released.

Im keeping for a variety of reasons; not financially in the market for a new camera and I dont need a new camera to accomplish what I need to at this time (inde films and learning the craft).

On a technical note, if I was in market, the XL2 would not be what I was after as it just doesnt have that magic look the DVX makes in regards ot 24p. Still has a kind of VIDEOish look. HD is all the rage but I think its still awhile before I have to be concerned about that.

I guess Im not the type to be constantly upgrading as new technology comes out. The artist is behind the camera and the DVX100 is more than enough camera at this time for me.

Heath McKnight October 21st, 2004 10:04 PM

DVX100A - My students shoot their films on it. I don't do anything right now other than filmmaking, though some friends want to use HDV and DVCPro HD to shoot TV shows, and want me to executive produce. So I started MPS HD to do just that.

heath

Yi Fong Yu October 22nd, 2004 09:53 PM

selling XL1s body... buying XL2 after i have some scripts =^).

Michael Wisniewski October 22nd, 2004 09:57 PM

Wuz going to upgrade to the DVX100a, but the FX1 has me waiting until I see some solid reviews.

K. Forman October 23rd, 2004 06:48 AM

Yi- I will assume, that you are going withthe XL2 because you have the lens already, and already familiar with that setup? What feature sold you on the XL2?

Michael- What feature got you thinking FX1?

I'm glad I posted this question... It's interesting to find which camera has the best features of the group. Maybe one day, we'll be able to configure our own camera, shopping features like this!

Michael Wisniewski October 24th, 2004 02:22 PM

>> Michael- What feature got you thinking FX1?

it looks like the FX1 will be able to pull double duty as a work & movie making cam. i'm currently renting a PD-170 for a job, and would have bought it if, it had native 16x9

the features i like:
native 16x9
low light
wide zoom lense (vs. XL2)
high resolution image
what looks like - better control over depth of field
nice manual controls

but the lack of XLR inputs and progressive modes is a bummer.

Yi Fong Yu October 24th, 2004 07:55 PM

keith,

the primary uses of my cam is my little hobby (very expensive hobby) of moviemaking and nothing else. occasionally i'll do a friend's wedding.

i'm keeping my 3x and 16x II lens and various accessories. the biggest feature is 24p and higher resolution. i'm going to be cropping 2:35:1 a lot and with the XL1s it became obvious that was too much of a resolution loss. and that's before color correction and filters and image manipulation.

i wouldn't say i'm very familiar with the setup but i wanted more control. the cinegamma and all those goodies are too good to pass up.

the biggest reason i've sold my equip is i'm not using it now and i need the money! it was just sitting there collecting dust. i'm gonna have to organize myself, write the scripts, write the production details and schedules and THEN get the cam. i'm one of those impulsive buyers... so i should control myself. when i have a need THEN get it.

Dylan Couper October 30th, 2004 11:23 PM

I think I'm going to sell my XL1's and buy a 16mm film camera.

Heath McKnight October 30th, 2004 11:40 PM

Heh heh heh...

heath

K. Forman October 31st, 2004 07:13 AM

Going back to the old days of literally cutting and pasting? I like it! My problem with that, is the cost of film and development, which make it cost prohibitive compared to digital tape cassettes.

However, you don't have to waste a lot of time trying to "get it to look like Film"... hehehe

Heath McKnight October 31st, 2004 09:50 AM

I own a few 16mm edit stations, one small (just a bolex with a tiny viewing monitor) and one bigger (from my old TV station's film days). One day I'd like to shoot a feature on 16mm, a la Rick Schmidt.

heath