Sarah McLachlan's $150,000 music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 26th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #1
Air China Pilot

Sarah McLachlan's $150,000 music video

Sarah McLachlan took the $150,000 budget for her new video "World on Fire", spent $1730, and donated the rest of it to worthy causes instead.

http://www.worldonfire.ca/

The video is just her sitting on a chair singing and playing intercut with stock video of the worthy causes she donated to, what parts of the production she skipped to save money.

Win win. She gets the publicity, the causes get money
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Nice video. Puts me in mind of the old saying "To whom much is given, much is expected..." Wish some corporations would follow suit.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 09:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Great video,without being preachy. I wonder if all the Hollywood unions are upset?
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #4
Trustee

Cool, $15....maybe we can all get some work on this board? lol

What would be even greater? She should have challenged other artists to do the same at the end of the video. If everyone did that for 1 year...that would practically solve world hunger for a year. (billions of dollars would buy a lot of medicine and food)

Murph
Old October 27th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yeah, but like I said, the challenge should go to more than just other artists.

Imagine a CEO of a huge corporation, giving up even HALF of his year end bonus, and challenging others to do the same.

The video does have the unfortunate, and I assume unintended, implication that the workers in the industry are overpaid. A stronger message might have been "Instead of buying neat toy's, I sent the money to worthy causes" _ Because face it, not many people are going to have $150k in production fees to send somewhere else. If you want people to follow suit, you should couch it in more relevant terms. "Instead of buying the next great video game, your money could feed an orphan for a year... " that sort of thing. I am sure that's her intent, but not certain it is put forth in the best possible way.

All in all, still a powerfull message.
Old October 27th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #6
Air China Pilot

I get your point.

Maybe in another video, all of the people could be said to have 'donated' their fees themselves rather than the artist forego their valuable work.
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #7
Inner Circle

<<What would be even greater? She should have challenged other artists to do the same at the end of the video. If everyone did that for 1 year...that would practically solve world hunger for a year. (billions of dollars would buy a lot of medicine and food)
<<

That would have turned the tone of the video from personal mission to self rightous fingerpointing (you know, like most animal rights activists). She was simply letting us know what she did and hopes to inspire, not condemn or ridicule. My only worry is others will user her video as an excuse to pont fingers, missing the entire point.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #8
Trustee

Come to think of it, this isn't very new..per say. Band Aid, Live Aid...all those things had videos on MTV too. Everything went to charity, and they were produced with slick productions. They were just single camera type stuff.

Murph
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Right you are Joe. I really think its an admirable concept, well enough executed. I like the links to the organizations so you can do the same.

I think, just somehow... it came up a little bit short of perfect. Mostly for the reasons we've talked about that will leave it open for misinterpretation or abuse. Not quite sure how to prevent that in the long run anyway.
Old October 27th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #10
Major Player

What was the $1730 spent on?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #11
Trustee

You know, that's a darn good question. Where the heck did the $1730 go? Maybe deluxe food for the crew catered by the vegan chef that accompanies her on the road? (Saw it on the Food Network).

--Edit--

I didn't mean that to sound sarcastic. I respect what she's doing - there's no room for cynicism in charity.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #12
Air China Pilot

The 2D animation at the end was probably part of it.
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #13
Major Player

Let's all give up our DV plaything and donate.
Big question is, do individual actions make any difference?
It's human nature that makes us keep what we have and makes us want more.
No solution. Not ever.
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #14
Air China Pilot

So philosophical.

I think what you can do is try and regulate what you *think* you need and reduce your choices to what is necessary.
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #15
Trustee

The tides of change start one person at a time.

Remember when we all thought U2 (I think) was stupid for refusing to pack their CDs in those awful, wasteful boxes? The vendors hated it. A CD pack that's only as big as the CD, and not a whole foot long? Crazy! Now we all use 'em.

One person at a time. And likewise, cynicism spreads cynicism.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media