Psychological Cinematography - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 26th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #16
Wrangler

Here's a thread where I was looking for similar info (click here). Also try searching under Art Theory and/or Aesthetics.

Haven't found a lot of resources that take visual art theory and make it more practical, but the two books, listed in the thread above are a good start.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #17
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Shawn Mielke : Thanks for the Nykvist quote, Matt. That's the kind of judgement and psychological shaping of perception in cinema that interests me most. How to shoot two people in such a way that helps the viewer "inhabit" their transpiring relationship, in all of it's complexity. Great stuff. Great great film. -->>>

Same here.
Old November 27th, 2004, 04:08 AM   #18
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Wisniewski : Here's a thread where I was looking for similar info (click here). Also try searching under Art Theory and/or Aesthetics.

Haven't found a lot of resources that take visual art theory and make it more practical, but the two books, listed in the thread above are a good start. -->>>

That's Michael , this is something that interst me the most and I want to learn more about it.
Old November 27th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #19
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Also I though
that it was good in Se7en that they showed the head, that just
added so much to the "bad guy" for me. But I generally agree
with you, a lot of endings just try to wrap it up too much. -->>>

Rob, I think you saw another version of Se7en then I did :-) I am pretty sure you never see the head in the box in Se7en.
Many people think you do,because they film it almost (close-up of the box, but you can't see what's in it) but you never see the head.

BTW: if you look for a movie that captures the feelings of characters well, I think Requiem For A Dream is a good one. Many people would think it's just a movie in MTV style, but just listen to the commentary track of Darren Aranofsky on the DVD, it's like every image is shot from the perspective 'what is our character now feeling?'

Good luck with your search.
PS: if you wouldn't have seen Requiem For A Dream, here is a little warning: sometimes the movie can get really intense, and I don't think you will be in a great mood afterwards.

bye
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 07:14 AM   #20
RED Code Chef

Indeed, I checked my DVD, it isn't show at all. This goes to show
how powerful the movie really is and how they can put images
in your head that weren't even there! Awesome!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #21
Air China Pilot

I just saw the Jan Kounen adaptation of the French western comic "Blueberry". It was pretty trashy but it does have some really trippy sequences showing the POV of the marshal as he smokes some native narcotic (peyote?). It has some pretty nice CG, visual effects. Think the sequence of "The Doors" where the group goes off into the desert and then extend it over feature-length.

There is a brilliant sequence of King Hu's "A Touch of Zen", where the heroes (and villain) encounter a trio of Buddhist monks. It really is a stunning piece of cinematography, editing and sound production. The monks appear, framed by the sun, and then they start floating over the bamboo intercut with a series of flash images intending to show the moment of bliss as they enter the scene.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media