Firefox pop-up blocker at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 9th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Firefox pop-up blocker

I just installed this program and I must say it is a nice upgrade from IE. But one thing that is upsetting me now is the pop- blocker. I've read the instructions on how to allow the links to pop up windows that need to be pop up like a webpage that plays music videos on yahoo. Here's the link:http://launch.yahoo.com/

When I click on the link to play those videos nothing happens. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone has any ideas?
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

Launch.com has written that page without Firefox in mind. I added launch.com to my allowed sites in the popup blocker and it comes up with an error. Their fault.
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #3
Trustee

Yeah you'll find that there are several sites that on occasion you won't be able to use properly in Mozilla (just like Safari on Macs). Usually it has to do with the site's developer not following true standards, as FireFox is pretty much as standards compliant as you're going to find.

Usually it's related to improper use of javascript.

Firefox is the first 3rd party browser that has successfully made me even think twice about it over IE (mostly for raw speed and overall accomodation for it on the web), but the world has some catching up to do. I tend to use both - switching between the two as mood strikes - partially out of curiosity to see how the sites are working between the two browsers. Usually they're identical.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #4
Air China Pilot

I like Firefox too. There are a few things that don't work so well. Occasionally you will want to quickly close a window and it takes a while for it to close but then if you switch to the window you want to follow it will close the one that is currently in the focus! Unlike a lot of people I haven't taken to the tabbed browsing yet. I like being able to have a window in another section of my monitor that I can keep an eye on (for example if it is slowly loading) while I do something else. For a web developer it has lots of cool diagnostics that tell you a lot about pages. Indispensible.
Old December 9th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys. I thought it was me. Now I know these same things happen to you guys as well. I am relief. I wil switch between browsers in this case. I do agree that firefox in a way is better so I will keep both.
Old December 9th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #6
Trustee

I've started using Firefox as well and I like its speed and features.
The only gripe I have is that it just won't work with Neptune.com - the video hosting site that I use to upload clips for "work in progress" etc.
I guess it's as you guys say, the site was written without Mozilla in mind...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media