DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   9/11 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/3651-9-11-a.html)

Daniel H. Buchmann September 11th, 2002 11:26 PM

9/11

Hey all,
I've just kinda been reflecting on the events of last year with all of the coverage of the memorials being televised today. I was up in N.Y. the day after the attacks. We were outside of a hospital about three blocks from the world trade center and set up our crews there. From the early morning hours, families were approaching all of the tv crews with photocopied pictures of their loved ones, all doing the same thing, hoping that just maybe someone somewhere might have seen their family members or friends, and could perhaps reunite them.
I haven't been in the business that long, but one thing I was told by a reporter whom I admire greatly was to "drop my emotions at the front door", and thats the attitude I took when I went to ground zero. That approach worked until we interviewed a guy later that evening. He had come to the hospital, like so many others, hoping to find a loved one. His fiancee. A beautiful girl in her early twenties. They had been sweethearts since elementary school, and he was desperately searching for her, although from his tone and his tears, I think we all kind of knew what the outcome would be. After the interview, we thanked him and wished him the best of luck. I turned away from my reporter, set down my camera and started to cry. The scene was just the most desperate, and sad thing I had ever witnessed. I don't know why I needed to write this, but I had to. I guess I need to hear from my peers that it's ok to become emotionally attached to a story from time to time. Thanks for listening.

Ken Tanaka September 11th, 2002 11:54 PM

Daniel,
I've never covered news stories. But I'd draw a strong distinction between maintaining your composure in a difficult situation and maintaining your humanity. It sounds like you accomplished both in your circumstance.

Daniel H. Buchmann September 12th, 2002 07:40 PM

Thanks for the input Ken. For a time after that I wondered if news was the right trade for me, but I'm still at it. I guess the experience has made me a stronger person to some extent, and for that I should be thankful.

Derrick Begin September 24th, 2002 08:23 AM

* * EXCELLENT JOB * *

It sounds like professionalism shined. The subject matter is overflowing with emotional content and specific situations.

You were effected by the work and you let it go after completing your job. It sounds like you acted with sensitivity and compassion. You even probably helped those people indirectly.

I hope you are bringing your collection of stories outside of the New York area.

It definately sounds like the experience strengthened you.

Rock'N'Roll!