8mm? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 24th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

8mm?

yeah ive probably posted this in the worst possible place so move it if necessary. ok, ive got this 1960's yashica 8mm camera that my grandfather gave me. ive always been intrested in film but ive only done dv. i also have a xl1s that ive been using for different things like: rollerblading, weddings, live bands, studio coverage of bands, anything to get paid. so anyway i wanted to start incorporating some of this 8mm footage into some of my videos. i have some idea of how to work the thing but i dont know what stock of 8mm film it takes or if the 'stock' even matters. i think i know how to load the film but thats only because there is a film cartridge already in it. if i did get ahold of some new film i dont know if i would be able to load it.

i really dont have the money/knowlege/option of getting the film developed due to the fact that im poor, dumb, and live in a small town that has no 'film scene'. so. ive got this idea. ive got a projector so i was thinking i could kinda do a 'punk rock' telecined and film the projected film with my xl1s. that way i would have a digital copy of the 8mm footage ready to edit along with all my other digital footage. ive heard it looks better than you think.

anyway i just wanted to know if anybody out there has any experience with these kinda cameras and maybe if you live in the houston area, (i live about 1 and a half hours north of houston), that we could get together and talk about this camera and other crap too.... i dont know anyone that is into the art of film so im always down for discussion. yeah so thanks for any responses.
Jared Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Jared,

If the camera has a "cartridge" in it, then it is a Super 8 camera, not a regular 8mm Camera. Filmstock is still available, places in Houston carry it, but you might just as well order it online, as the cost of the trip would be more than the cost of delivery.

Just do a google search for Super 8, and you will find loads of websites full of information, instruction manuals, links to labs that process, tips and tricks, etc.

Yes, you can do a "poor man's " telecine with you camera and a projector. Again, a search will provide you with tips from this board and others.

Film will run you anywhere from 10 to 20 dollars a roll, depending on the stock. Processing can be from 8 to 15 dollars, again, depending on stock. WalMart allegedly is the cheapest, but I think they just send their film to DWAYNES in Kansas.

Your camera may or may not have multiple frame rates. Depending on the FPS, you will get 2.5 to 3.5 minutes per cartridge. So, some sloppy math will yield a "Ten dollar a minute" rough price to buy,shoot, process and deliver super 8 film.

Yes, its much more expensive than tape stock, but I like to teach using Super 8, because the film discipline of pre-production, planning and rehearsal is a big time saver, that a lot of digital shooters could benefit from.

Have fun!
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hey richard, thanks for the info...ill deffintely be doing some searches....again thanks for the reply. very helpful.
Old December 25th, 2004, 12:00 AM   #4
Major Player

http://www.8mm.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/index.php?sid=87d1d4ef0519b86d4c74404a210a03e1

A cool forum I've found of people that shoot with this stuff.
I find the whole thing pretty interesting as well as the effects and colorations that can be acheived on this format.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media