DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   A&E programs shot with DV overexposed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/36904-e-programs-shot-dv-overexposed.html)

James Emory December 25th, 2004 11:11 PM

A&E programs shot with DV overexposed

Has anyone else noticed these two A&E shows, Airline and First 48, being quite a bit overexposed lately? I mean the video is really hot, in a bad way. I think their both shot with the DVX 100. Airline was initially shot with higher end cameras, maybe IMX or betacam, but has moved to DV. They still use some of first season's airport b-roll because it looks damn good and then they cut or transition to the DV, ooooo. It's even overexposed inside the airport. The only reason why I think they use the footage is because it was too late when discovered and obviously irreplaceable and is just good enough to air. It really looks like home video.

The First 48 is going down the same path. Someone apparently hasn't been telling the shooters to start irising down or use ND filters more efficiently.

I really can't believe that A&E is airing this stuff and the editors aren't just screaming as bad as the footage looks.

I think the shooters just aren't using their ND filters because not only are the subjects hot but the background is blown out as well. Usually it's one or the other with the background being the most commonly blown out.

James Emory January 7th, 2005 01:09 AM

The season premiere for The First 48 was this week and the photography is looking a whole lot better.

James Emory July 14th, 2005 11:35 PM

I was recently told by the XP that the First 48 is being shot with PD-170s at 1/30 shutter. I originally thought it was the DVX 100a at 24P or 30P.

Chris Hurd July 14th, 2005 11:50 PM

Well I have to admit that I'm seeing a ton of overexposed stuff all over the channels. Hot, white, blown out. Seems to be everywhere!

James Emory July 15th, 2005 12:01 AM

From what you described, would you say that you think it is the photography or the broadcast. Because recently, in the last month, I have seen what I thought was overexposed photography but is actually a hot broadcast. I know this because I've seen reruns at a different time on the same network with a perfect picture. It has mostly shown up on FX and a couple of others and seems to be intermittent. I know the Head End engineer for Comcast in my market and am going to contact him to see if it's a local network problem or if they're getting it in their feed. I bet it's Comcast because Networks don't put up with that kind of crap. However, if you're seeing it in Texas too, depending on what you think it really is, photography or broadcast errors, it might not be just Comcast. What is your cable/satellite carrier there?