Extremely off topic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 8th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Extremely off topic

I'm looking for a software program that will let me design forms (like contracts) with blanks for people to fill in. Then, I can pull up the document on the computer, have the people fill in the fields of the form on the computer by clicking on the blanks and typing and then print it out with the new information for the person to sign. You can'd do something like that with Word because when the person starts typing it messes up the formatting of the document. Do I need to get Acrobat for something like that or is there something cheaper and easier I can use?

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't know what you use for contact management but Filemaker Pro will allow you to do something like this. It's really a handy program for everything from Invoice / Billing to Contact Management and inventory.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Major Player

It's pretty expensive (for my purposes) but I'll download the trial and see what happens. Thanks.

Old January 8th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Word will do the trick

Tony,

Word forms will do what you want.

Create a Word template (.dot) and use the Word form fields.
To control layout, use tables.

The secret to preventing the user from changing the non form field text is to protect the document for forms before you save it the last time.

If you open up Word Help, and search on "forms", it will give you step by step directions.

HTH.

Good luck.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Pete, I just figured it out!

Old January 9th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #6
Trustee

tony,

there's another method but it'll cost money. buy adobe acrobat 7 (standard will do fine). it's a few hundred but it'll do pretty much what you want. create a word file and make it with the format you want. then print into a .pdf file. then using acrobat you can manipulate acrobat into a form. so anytime ANYBODY uses the .pdf from an acrobat reader (free for everyone) they can fill out a form print it out and sign it.

i've found word .dot templates to be still finnicky. word wasn't designed like acrobat... which has far better utilization for forms on paper & epaper.
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #7
Inner Circle

here is a link to an HR software Resources company called gNeil. They have a product called mybiz forms that has 40 built in forms, and allows you to design your own. Also has a free reader you can distribute. I know the programmer who wrote it.

be sure to read the pdf file for best info. You can also download a free fully functional 30 day trial version.

http://www.gneil.com/product/3134.as...qcb9966-913.12

cost is 149.00
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media