Domain Register Beware? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 19th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Domain Register Beware?

I recently posted a link in the DV For the Masses threads showing a little 'Undead Nation' in pre-production. Just having some fun and cutting my teeth on the Zombie genre with plans to have an online episodic based zombie horror vibe. I had submitted the link to the video and a small blurb about my plans less than (2)weeks ago and submitted it on 4 sites. DVXuser.com and DVinfo.net and a couple cheesy 'zombie fan' sites.

Yesterday, it was brought to my attention that someone mysteriously registered the name. Coincidence? Maybe.

A little word of advice and a lesson I learned; register the name before you go 'announcing' an idea for pending project. Undead Nation is now an offical 'working title' and I am looking for another name for my project.

To whomever registered it? Tell me it was merely a coincidence so I can sleep knowing my fellow man is not as bad as it seems. :P

Lesson learned.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

That's a bummer John! However, you can easily lookup who
registered it (I just did):

- go to www.whois.net
- in the first box (WHOIS lookup) type the domain name WITHOUT www, for example: undeadnation.com
- hit Go!

And you will get all the details you want, including how to contact
the person if you so wish (although I wouldn't go screaming they
stole your name, it really might be a coincidence!)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #3
Trustee

Hey, it's against the law...it's called "Cybersquating". All you have to do is prove this person got the domain to screw you. But, that will be difficult to show if he suddenly starts putting up a real site all about Undead Nations!

Believe it or not I was involved in one of the first high profile Cybersquating situations before the law came into effect. I was working for a television station, and I registered our competions domain before they did. It became national news...and subsequentually the law was made. Yes, I was being quite the d*ck for doing it! At the time things were quite cut-throat in regards the web...people thought it was the second coming!

Here are a few pieces on what I did:

http://www.maineandasmus.com/publica...name_games.htm

http://www.bostonradio.org/radio/nerw/nerw-981009.html

Murph
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #4
Major Player

HaHaHaHa! LMAO, Oh my GOD! Chris, what an A-hole!(not really) That's so funny! I love reading about stuff like that. Good job!

I guess nowadays that's not politically correct, but for the time, that's some funny stuff!

I would hate it if it happened to me though.

hahaha, can't stop laughing...
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media