Survey says: Apple is most influential brand at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 31st, 2005, 04:10 PM   #1
Wrangler

Survey says: Apple is most influential brand

http://money.cnn.com/2005/01/31/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes, it managed to displace "Google"... and I spent a lot of money buying the "Google" brand last year.

Didn't you?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #3
Major Player

If you ever went to or used Google or visited a web page with Google ads on it, you most certainly did. You paid with your time by being exposed to the ads that are paid for by other companies. Don't kid yourself thinking Google is just some stupid web page or search engine. It's an enormous brand and an big money maker. Name another word that can be instantly recognizable for what it is? I'm gonna "Google" it means basically search for it on the internet. Just like buying an Apple today doesn't necessarily mean the fruit.
(also see Xerox, TiVO, Kleenex, and so on)

Companies spend BILLIONS of dollars trying to achieve this kind of recognition because it translates into massive sales. Google can charge a lot more for it's ad-space or placements because it is the most influential brand on the planet, oops, I mean, WAS the most influential brand.

You can also look historically at computer trends to see this. You can pinpoint the copy-cat trends PC manufacturers employ after every new Apple product launch. Count how many days it's going to take Dell to start making a tiny computer without a monitor because it's gonna happen. It always does, and THAT is what an influential brand does. NOBODY copies Dell! Everybody copies Apple.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Relax Rhett.

My wife is a trademark and copyright attorney, believe me when I say I understand what a company spends on aquiring and maintaining the rights, and what it takes to defend them.

And frankly, I can't remember a single ad I have ever seen on Google.
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #5
Wrangler

Rhett, settle down before Google sends their Blackhawk choppers after you!
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:22 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

There's ads on Google?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Not ads ON Google, ads BY Google. But yes, Google has ads on it as well.

Go to google and Type in "DV". The first this in the listing is a "sponsored" link for stock quotes. On the left of the screen are ads for "Target.com" and "Shop.com" neither of which have anything to do with "DV".
Companies PAY Google for the privilege of being listed high in the search listing according to different "keywords". Just try a few searches and see how it works (try "shoes", "computers" and "apple"). There is almost NO way of getting top listing on ANY search engine without PAYING for it, (excluding very unusual searches) and Google is the most expensive because they are the top Brand.
You can also see, on different web sites, a banner somewhere with different "ads" or links in a box that says "Ads sponsored by Google". Some web sites have these placed there as a source of revenue based on "keywords" that appear in their website that Google has matched with companies who want advertising. The company pays Google for the placement of the ad and in return Google pays the website (a lesser amount) based on either clicks or purchases made through the clicks. It is an enormous industry and Google is by far the biggest and most powerful and thus has huge influence. (it gets much more in depth and complicated but that is enough for this case)

My point was only that it is quite a feat to accomplish for Apple. It's no secret that I am a Mac fanatic but you've got to hand it to Apple, they really do some pretty amazing things, after all, they invented handwriting recognition (like you use when you buy something with a credit card at the store), Firewire, personal computers and a host of other great things that have gotten overlooked in the past (including the first to bring DVD burning to the masses, via Pioneer, which was quickly followed by everyone else). I'm just happy they are finally getting some broader recognition for their efforts. You can't argue they make some bold moves that send waves throughout the computer world which then scurries to play catch-up.

By the way, besides the stab at "WAS the top brand" I wasn't trying to be a smart-A, a lot of people don't know exactly how the search industry works so I was just trying to educate a little to ad value to the prize Apple achieved with this new position. Richard didn't seem particularly impressed with the honor (that Apple took from Google) but it really is a big deal in the marketing world. Of course as a long time Apple user I also know, if anyone can blow a good thing, Apple can! (see, I can take it as well as dish it)
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #8
Wrangler

<<<-- It's no secret that I am a Mac fanatic but you've got to hand it to Apple, they really do some pretty amazing things, -->>>

The only truly amazing thing Apple has ever done is to introduce real workd marketing technique into the computer industry.

Arguably, it's amazing they've been able to stay in business too.

Old February 6th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #9
Inner Circle

"You can also look historically at computer trends to see this. You can pinpoint the copy-cat trends PC manufacturers employ after every new Apple product launch. Count how many days it's going to take Dell to start making a tiny computer without a monitor because it's gonna happen. It always does, and THAT is what an influential brand does. NOBODY copies Dell! Everybody copies Apple."

Look, I'm not interested in a platform debate, that's as fruitless as any religious or political 'discussion'. But lets be clear about Apple's latest marketing breakthrough - it followed the lead of PC manufacturers.

The new "Under 500 dollar" Mac, (Does it have a cute name? I don't know because I don't care to follow Apple) was released as a pressure to up their marketing. I've been able to walk into any electronics store and buy a PC without a monitor for under five hundred dollars for years. Struggling with somewhere between 3 and 5 percent of market share, Apple finally succumbed to investor pressure and released a "Pc style" introductory price package. Time will tell if this "bold move" to copy the PC realm will up their market share.

Even their biggest succes of late, The I-POD was simply a new way of marketing existing technology and pryour marketing approaches. NAPSTER pioneered dowloading music as marketing genius, and DIAMOND RIO started manufacturing portable MP3 players back in... 99 I think. They paid a heavy price for their cutting edge innovations as the RIAA came down hard on them, and after some significant legal wranglings, the coast was clear for downloading and using MP3 players. Too late for NAPSTER (Which continues as a BRAND NAME) but not too late for Diamond Rio. Apple comes along, mimics the technology and markets the downloading process.

The Genius of APPLE is their marketing and sales, no doubt about it. They deserve all their Kudos for having snazzy looking commercials, fancy colored/shaped cpu's (Though the "cube" was a huge bust, wasn't it? And you can now buy mice with a right click key on them, something they were forced to mimic from the PC realm. ). Apple IS a widely recognized brand name. (Clever to name their brand after one of the most commonly recognized words in the English language. Yeah, that's cutting edge.)

But I have no interest in owning one. And apparently more than 95% of computer users don't either. Such are the fickle vagaries of marketing.
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #10
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Alvarez : But I have no interest in owning one. And apparently more than 95% of computer users don't either. -->>>

Well I think you might be missing the point here. With only 5% of the market, Apple has a lot of room to grow and I think we're starting to see the beginning of that. Meanwhile the Wintel world is at the saturation point and there is a growing frustration on the part of its users. I also feel this has nothing to do with hardware - other than the relatively high cost of Macs (up until now). All the good reviews of the Mac mini are really centered on Apple's operating system, MacOS X. It provides a vastly better user experience.

But if you're happy with your PC then that's fine, life would be pretty boring if we all had the same tastes. I'm sure Apple will have its ups and downs as it always has - hard to imagine that they can continue the phenomenal tear they're on now. But IMO you will see more and more users switching to the Mac in the coming years, and you'll also see more consolidation and commoditization in the PC world, which will continue to be dominated by Dell. Have a look at the cover story in this month's Fortune magazine which rips the HP/Compaq merger.

What goes up tends to go back down eventually, but for the time being the investment community has spoken very clearly http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL...c=hpq,dell,gtw. As a shareholder of Microsoft, Apple and Dell, which company do you think I'm happiest with?...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media