DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Sony PSP as monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/38699-sony-psp-monitor.html)

Jason Pechman February 1st, 2005 12:44 PM

Sony PSP as monitor

Has anyone figured out how to use the new Playstaion portable as a possible monitor solution for dv camcorders? I know it has usb and wi-fi , but is there an adapter for somthing like this? Any comments welcome on this.

Jason Pechman February 25th, 2005 12:26 PM

psp as monitor

I found out that the PSP has a a/v input on the side. So the answer is "yes" to be able to use it as a dv monitor. Although I have not yet tried it, but as soon as I do, more input will follow. Oh and please, no more replys here, ok community? (sarcastic)

Chris Wilkerson March 20th, 2005 02:17 AM

Where did you see that the PSP has an A/V input?
I'm looking at the stats and they list the inputs as:

IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi)
USB 2.0 (Target)
Memory Stick PRO Duo
IrDA
IR Remote (SIRCS)

IGN claims that there have been 3rd party companies expressing interest in making A/V in/out for PSP (so that you can watch tv on it, or play it on a tv)...but so far there haven't been an official announcements.

The resolution on the unit looks pretty good, and people are raving about how bright the picture is, so i think if someone does man an A/V adapter for it, it could turn into a great, inexpensive 16:9 monitor.

--Chris Wilkerson

Chris Wilkerson March 24th, 2005 01:12 AM

Got my PSP today...

Well I got my PSP today.
The screen is amazingly sharp and bright. Watching Spiderman 2 on it (it came free with the unit) is quite impressive. It's very crisp, and dare I say looks better than my normal SD tv.
Its very visible, even in bright light....however I feel like the optimal viewing angle is somewhat limited....and it has a bit of glare.
In addition to having a great screen, the unit is very light weight and could easily be mounted to a camera...of course part of the reason for this is that the unit isn't very big....so while its comparable to the flip-out LCDs on other dv cams, its still no 7" wonder.

On the downside, it does NOT come with AV in/out ports built in. So unless someone comes up with a hack, or a 3rd party adapter, its not going to be very useful as a camera monitor.

--Chris Wilkerson

Daniel Hollister March 26th, 2005 10:23 PM

Well of course it would look sharper than a regular SDTV, its pixels are much smaller :)

You could, in theory, use the PSP as a video monitor, but I don't quite understand while you would want to. It costs 3x as much as a nice little 13" SD television. That's what I use, and a lot of professionals - a regular old SDTV. That's obviously the most accurate representation of what your footage is going to look like. Is the PSP really significantly bigger or better than the LCD of most prosumer cameras?

Chris Wilkerson March 27th, 2005 12:29 AM

I think the size is about the same as most flip out LCD's on prosumer cameras (4.3")
A nice 13" monitor is definately more practical for something like a studio shoot where you have have mostly static shots and access to power...but if you're doing a lot of field shooting, like ENG, a portable LCD monitor is very handy.
If you're using a GL2 or a DVX100, then the flip out LCD is probably all you'll need (though they tend to eat up battery and are typically overscanned). However, the XL1/s/2 don't have a built in LCD monitor...and honestly the EVF's on these cameras are terrible. It's hard to get a critical focus on these low res tiny LCD's they use for the EVF. So a lot of people people end up buying an external LCD monitor for framing and focusing. These monitors run upwards of $700 and tend to be inhibiting since they are somewhat large. If the PSP could take video in, then it would be a nice alternative to one of those larger screens. It would be just big enough to use for framing and focusing, and small enough to mount on the XL2 without weighing it down or getting in the way....plus it has the added bonus of buing 16x9.....so for the XL2 which can output in 16x9 (without a matte around the image), having a monitor thats widescreen can be very useful.

I was looking at the pixel count.... 480 x 272 pixels, 16,770,000 color depth....not super impressive....so I guess it's something someone will just have to try out and how well it works (if we ever get the chance).
On the other hand, its a great little gaming device.

--Chris Wilkerson

Boyd Ostroff March 27th, 2005 07:28 AM

Was just reading a review of the PSP in Fortune magazine: http://www.fortune.com/fortune/peter...040432,00.html. They were impressed with the hardware, but took issue with the way Sony intentionally crippled it.
Quote:

that's where the vintage Sony, the company started by engineers, is in conflict with the more recent Sony, the company dominated by entertainment executives who, in the interest of protecting their movies, music, and games from digital pirates, demand restrictions on the capabilities of Sony hardware.

Gary Chavez March 29th, 2005 12:10 PM

That woulda been a great use for it.

I have tried to solve this problem with a Casio 4.5" TIFF monitor with a balanced A/V in.
I have a BNC out of my Ike 7 DVCAM, adapted to the 1/8" balanced cable. Lots of velcro om my Anton Buer bricks and Velcro on the back of the unit creates a rock steady connection.

The cons:
1, My Casio unit has been to the shop twice for the same repair (code 7). This must be the answer to the secreat of the universe cause no one will tell me what a code 7 is.
It has failed yet again.
I bought the first one in December, exchanged it and have had this unit sent in twice as stated before.
It came back last week with the same problem yet again (3rd time.) So I cant use it now. Its gonna kill me to buy a new/different brand monitor.

2, Needs a hood.