Shallow Waste Bin project :( at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 4th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shallow Waste Bin project :(

Sooooo check this out, I happen to see this ad on craigslist i think about this project and how film makers can get together and make films and share resources. So I sign up just to check it out and maybe offer some help with my crew and possibly do something together. Seemed friendly enough. I sign up, get an email to a meet and greet and an email to a forum. Everything is fine. I go to the meet and greet, talk to a few people and the next day I go to post on this forum and say thanks for the evening and was glad to meet some of them and I cant get on. I try and try and then I says im banned. So i email an admin and they tell me that No other film companies can be a part of this like im going to go and take there talent or something. Then I get an email from the guy sam who runs it saying basically why would our guys want to hang with your guys? Well he actually said would McDonalds employees go hang at the Burger King lounge?
WTF?
Is this what the new age of film makers are going to be like?
I believe this community is tight and everyone helps everyone else out no matter where they come from or who they are part of, am I correct or am I just old school?
I just had to let that out because its the first time something like this has happened. I thought reaching out to another local place was only to build stronger relations.
Man I hope this isnt a hint for more to come.
Aram Bauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Heh, ya musta scared 'em!

This is New york, Lotsa a-holes and some decent folks as well. Just consider this winnowing the chaff. As I go along I meet people. Some I want to work with again, some I'd just as soon forget, but pray they won't completely f-up the project. We meet all kinds.

But you gotta make nice.

Sometimes you work on something that is really great, sometimes you work on something to collect a check. Such is the life of a freelancer.
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Wrangler

When I used to play in local bands years ago, it usually went like this: bunch of friends get together and decide they are going to take over the world with their music. We spent a lot of time rehearsing, getting the material ready, and promoting the band. Occasionally a rivalry would spring up with another band and the result would be trash talking, stapling over each other's flyers (once it even came to ripping down flyers, really ugly) and the like. I never understood it myself, chalked it up to the testosterone levels and competitiveness of some of my bandmates (they were big into sports, too). Generally though, there was pretty good sense of community.

Sounds just like this sort of thing is happening with the indie film boom. You put a bunch of young guys on a team and as soon as they feel threatened by another team (as Mark indicated), it's on. It's weird to think that filmmaking is anything like a basketball game, but the mentality can be the same.
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I find it weird because I have never had this experience before. Seems like most people are willing to help and are friendly. Every camera person I know has said hey if you need any help just give me a shout. Same with sound guys, pretty much anyone for that matter. I do the same. Give me a shout if you need help with anything. Oh well. Not everyone wants to play nice. Wow, only 3 posts. I could have sworn I posted a few times more at least. Am I just a lurker? :P
Aram Bauman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media