Phycists Builds 4 Gigapixel Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 8th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Phycists Builds 4 Gigapixel Camera

A retired military optics designer built a super camera for photographing the Milky Way. When that project fell through, he decided to use the camera to photograph America. He's been traveling across the country taking pictures of various landmarks.

Check it out here.

The article has link to his website, where some of the pictures have been posted. You would not believe the freaking resolution and latitude this camera has. It can see better than I can with my own eyes. There's a shot of San Diego at night, lit only by the natural illumination of the city. It looks like it could have been taken at noon.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Thats absolutely amazing. The parasail picture showing the old guys watching the nude beach is pretty funny too.

Wonder how long it'll be till they have cameras like this capturing 30 frames a second?
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That's unbelievable. One picture takes up an entire DVD. 4.7GB for each picture. Just wow. I want one. :D
Brent Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just imagine what a paparazzi can do with this thing...

He will be able to see the nose hair in Pam Anderson from one km. away or just put this one looking to any window in Skywalker place... Will be able to wach secrets beyond knowlegde.

This technology will never reach the streets. Itīs a pity, specially for the ones looking to the beach. Just one picture and there you go, hours and hours of entertainment.
Old February 8th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Wrangler

Yeah, but what kind of crop factor does it have? 0.016? :)
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #6
Major Player

So he takes three pictures a day? Okay EVERYBODY in Utah say cheese !!! LOL I wish they had the Grand Canyon pics posted...
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #7
New Boot

Joshua, sorry for stepping on your post but are you interested in doing some edit work on an outdoor based show for tv....we have the footage just need help putting it togeather....sorry, but the site wouldn't let me email you directly...tim
Tim Oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #8
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim Oneil : Joshua, sorry for stepping on your post but are you interested in doing some edit work on an outdoor based show for tv....we have the footage just need help putting it togeather....sorry, but the site wouldn't let me email you directly...tim -->>>

Sure. jstarnes at houston.rr.com

E-mail and give me the details.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media