DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   How can I get a Gmail account? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/39169-how-can-i-get-gmail-account.html)

Tony Hall February 9th, 2005 04:00 PM

How can I get a Gmail account?

I have had it with my hotmail account. Every single day it makes me log into the website and copy a bunch of cryptic numbers and letters that I can barely see. I'm sick of messing with it.

Can anybody tell me how I can get a gmail account?

Imran Zaidi February 9th, 2005 04:57 PM

Because it's still in Beta, you have to be invited to get an account from another user who has been granted X number of invites to pass on to people. I had a bunch until just the other day when I went to log in and all my invites disappeared. I've heard this has happened to others as well, and the rumor is that this means it's probably getting ready to end Beta and go live for real. When that happens, everyone will be able to get in, without invites.

Anybody else out there suddenly have their available invitations disappear?

Tony Hall February 9th, 2005 06:07 PM

Well if anyone has an invite, I'd appriciate it. Otherwise I guess I'll wait.

Keith Loh February 9th, 2005 06:13 PM

I have a few. Watch your email.

edit: sent to your .name address.

Tony Hall February 9th, 2005 06:18 PM

Thanks a lot Keith! I just checked my mail and I've got it.

Appriciate it. Goodbye Hotmail.

Keith Loh February 9th, 2005 06:29 PM

No problem. Anyone else?

Greg Boston February 9th, 2005 08:36 PM

Hi Keith,

I'd like to give it a try if you have any invites left.

regards,

-gb-

John Sandel February 9th, 2005 10:45 PM

Keith, I'm interested, if you have an invite left. Thanks!

JS

Steve Locke February 9th, 2005 11:04 PM

I also have some invites

John Sandel February 9th, 2005 11:12 PM

I'd be grateful if you had one to spare.

Anybody want to mention any benefits they've noticed from using Gmail, other than it's not Hotmail?

Lorinda Norton February 10th, 2005 12:41 AM

Don't know that I'd call it a "benefit," but Gmail boasts that you never have to delete another message.

I like it because the storage is huge--1000 megabytes. The Google search within is nice if you keep all those e-mails and want to find a specific message.

Bob Zimmerman February 10th, 2005 03:32 AM

I'd like one. Send it to zimvg@hotmail.com

thanks

Rob Lohman February 10th, 2005 05:46 AM

I sent you one just now Bob! Enjoy!

Imran Zaidi February 10th, 2005 08:13 AM

Wow I guess many still have invites. I wonder why everyone I know suddenly lost all their invites. Plus there was that article I was reading that was saying it was happening to many. Oh that Google - they always like to keep you guessing.

Lorinda Norton February 10th, 2005 09:36 AM

Imran,

When they gave out the "invites," they also noted that they'd be removed after three weeks. That's exactly what happened to mine.