DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Video Contest - this week only (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/39402-video-contest-week-only.html)

Steven Gotz February 13th, 2005 06:14 PM

Video Contest - this week only

http://www.cadillacunder5.com

Dylan Couper February 13th, 2005 07:09 PM

Bah, U.S. only.

Brandon Greenlee February 13th, 2005 08:37 PM

Hrmm....

I was about to write it off as a no-can-do, but 5 seconds?

Surely it wouldn't be hard to put together a five second film.

Any ideas?

Michael Wisniewski February 13th, 2005 09:57 PM

<<<-- Surely it wouldn't be hard to put together a five second film.

Famous last words.

The real trick is to trade in the Cadillac for some equipment and a warehouse converted into a studio.

Brent Ray February 13th, 2005 10:06 PM

I was bummed to find that the "5 second rule" idea had already been used.

Brent Ray February 13th, 2005 10:10 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Wisniewski :

The real trick is to trade in the Cadillac for some equipment and a warehouse converted into a studio. -->>>

The sad part is that a similar idea actually crossed my mind when I first looked at the contest.

Steven Gotz February 13th, 2005 10:50 PM

I drive a 12 year old Cadillac (with only 87,000 miles on it) and winning a new one would be pretty cool.

My wife came up with an idea, so we are going to attempt to shoot it. It certainly won't take long to edit it. And with any luck at all, we could place in the "finalist" category for humor.

We'll see. At least I will have tried. I could not have come up with the idea myself, so I am sure glad my wife prefers a SUV to a Cadillac sedan. Otherwise she might want to drive it. :-)

Marc Sacco February 17th, 2005 08:00 AM

steven! thanks for bringing this up! i wouldnt have known about it if you hadn't! i just sent my entry in. (after it took three tries to succesfully upload my entry!) did the whole shoot myself including acting (if you want to call it that!) it was fun to do it! but they need to have it send an email confirmation or something!
anyway, whoe else has signed up and what catagory are you in?

im in the mystery catagory.

thanks again!

Marc

Steven Gotz February 17th, 2005 08:40 AM

My shoot never came off.

The problem is that the only kid I know that could pull it off already has an agent. The agent nixed it. Oh well. I guess I need to make friends with people who have kids? My Great-Nephew would have been perfect though.

Nick Vizzone March 1st, 2005 08:50 AM

Well, I entered this contest with a comedy video. I didn't really think I had a chance, but my video made a few folks chuckle. I saw that the finalists were posted on the cadillacunder5.com site, and I guess I was a little surprised. Most of the videos seemed to be heavy on special effects and abstract themes. Mine was a simple two cut video about a pomeranian getting sucked up by a vacuum cleaner. Since this contest was affiliated with Hollywood I should have know that effects would carry the day. Oh well.

Take a look at the finalists if you get a chance and post your opinions here. I'd like to hear from the knowledgable folks on this board. Especially look in the comedy section, the bowling pin video is the only one that made me smile.

On a technical note, the contest had a file size limit of 6MB. I found it hard to get mine down to that with good quality. The finalists look great, do you really think they are 6MB files?

Steven Gotz March 1st, 2005 09:02 AM

I liked "Early Morning Detail" the best. Neat, tidy, not rushed. Told a story in 5 seconds without getting cut off.

Marc Sacco March 1st, 2005 09:04 AM

hey Nick,
i entered mine in the mystery category and didnt make it in either! i too was a bit surprised at some of the ones that made it. i also thought some of the drama and mystery entries were more comedy than anything else (like the chicken crossing the road and the one with all the chalk outlines) also, the bowling pin was funny. the coaster one was decent too.

now that the contest is over i might put mine up on my website for others to check out.... (but not until i'm done throwing my tantrum for not even making the finalist cut!)

hey it was fun to get out there and do something totally for art! (hadn't done that in ages)

take care,
marc