Merrill Lynch sees Apple-Sony partnership at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 15th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Merrill Lynch sees Apple-Sony partnership

Here,
Since it has been a little bit of a hot topic here lately, when I saw this I was a little surprised but I guess it makes sense. I guess I was wrong about Apple and Sony not being very friendly towards each other. Maybe Sony is still kicking themselves for turning down Apple's invitation to be a partner when they were developing iTunes.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Apple dragging feet!

Well, Apple.....get your crap together and support the FX1 and Z1 in FCP HD!!!
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:35 PM   #3
Skyonic New York

i spoke with some folks i know at apple about this in dec when i heard about it first... one interesting fact, and thats that Steve Jobs loves sony, he is a huge fan, and admires there business model...

no joke this is what i have been told...

lets see what happens...Jobs himself said he got inquires about os x licensing from 4 major computer makers (he did not mention who)...i bet one of those is sony, just a guess...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Wrangler

In the current issue of Fortune Magazine (the one with Steve Jobs on the cover and the story "How big can Apple get?") there's a companion article "Saving face at Sony." Here's a link, although you may need to be a subscriber to read the full article http://www.fortune.com/fortune/techn...025101,00.html.

It mentions Kunitake Ando's appearance alongside Steve at Macworld and the fact that Jobs hinted at future partnerships, "Who knows? Maybe one day on computers and music." But the article also observes
Quote:
That Sony should need anybody's help when it comes to music, let alone that of a computer company that wasn't even in the home electronics business five years ago, speaks volumes on just how far Sony has fallen.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Re: Merrill Lynch sees Apple-Sony partnership

<<<-- Originally posted by Rhett Allen : Maybe Sony is still kicking themselves for turning down Apple's invitation to be a partner when they were developing iTunes. -->>>

No one thinks they need anyone's help when they're on top. Sony had introduced the Walkman and the Discman, what did they think they needed Apple for?

Ironically, its the reverse of the Sony/Nintendo relationship from 15 years ago, when Sony was developing the PlayStation as an add-on to the Super Nintendo. Nintendo changed their minds and sent Sony on their way (Nintendo had the Nintendo, what did they think they needed Nintendo for?) and Sony introduced the Playstation. The rest, as they say, is history.

And those who don't remember history, are doomed to repeat it.

(Further irony, what happened with Nintendo and Sony and Sony and Apple, is the same thing that happened with Nintendo and Atari. Atari was going to bring the Famicom over from Japan under the Atari brand, decided they didn't need to, and sent Nintendo on their way. Nintendo started Nintendo of America, and released the Famicom in America. No one ever learns.)
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media